Cellar Craft slow ferment on cab

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrussell

Reaction score
I started my CC Red Mountain Cab on sunday. SG 1.110. Have kept it at 72 to 74 degrees for three days. Took a reading today and it is only down to 1.100. I have never had a red wine ferment this slow. Can this happen or does it sound like it is stuck. I do hear noise like it is working. Yeast was ec1118 but kit did have a january date on it. could yeast be too old? Thanks for any imput.

January is a fairly new kit. Did this have a grape pak that was not accounted for in the gravity reading?

took the reading after adding grape skin pack. I stirred it about an hour ago and just checked it. Its bubbling pretty good so it has to be fermenting, I guess I'll just be patient. Thanks, Wade.

I did one of these back in July and it went like a rocket. I think the juice was only six months old. Perhaps old yeast?

Bubbling is good, keep it warm and it should be OK
smiley1.gif

How is the SG doing, Ron? On a different forum, a couple of members were reading their hydrometers incorrectly, which isn't terribly hard to do. I just looked at mine and noticed that there is a "10" immediately below the 1.000 and further down it says 1.100 after the "90". I doubt this is what happened to you, just throwing it out there. An SG of 1.100 would have about 3 3/4" of hydrometer sticking up out of the must.

I made the RM Cab last April and it finished at 0.988 SG after 20 days. The dope (me) didn't record the SG when it went to secondary which was on day 8.

Latest posts

Back