Hello from California

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val M

Junior
Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself since I'm new to this forum (or any forum for that matter!) I got started in home winemaking about march or april 07when I ran across George's website. I've been hooked ever since!
smiley4.gif

I love all the topics and especially the expert advice from all the members. I've made about 150 bottles of wine so far and running out of room. I'm thinking about making a port next, but have a few questions.

#1 Any opinions as to which kit is the best one to make?

#2 Is there any kind of fortification involved or is it personal preference? I've always been told you have to fortify with some sort of brandy.

Anyway, I just love the forum and I hope to learn from all of you!

Thanks!

I have the Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port in bulk aging so I cant speak on that 1 and have made the Winexpert Chocolate Raspberry Port which was a limited edition and it is awesome but not available on this site. It is for sale on Ebay but is pricey and if you type it in on this search page you will find a post that states that there is a brew supply place that might have 1 or 2 left. Welcome and hope you stay awhile.

Wade, actually i just purchased the Chocolate rasberry port from a seller on EBay. As of yesterday he had 4 kits left.
He is asking $133 for the kit.
I counter-offered and got him down to $121. Still pricey but Iwill have my Port.
smiley36.gif

I tasted the La Bodega port at Winestock. I believe it was the experimental batches George did. It was fantastic. It made me even more crushed about when I ruined mine. I have a batch of the WE Port bulk aging. It tasted very good when I stabilized it. My vote would be go for the MM La Bodega.

Fortification is all personal preference. On the WE kit I have you added extra sugar after partial fermentation to boost the alcohol content. I don't remember the procedure for the MM kit. I believe it suggested fortification with brandy,

You can fortify with anything you like if you want. I know the La Bodega says to fortify with Apricot Brandy, I know others have used E&J Brandy and some have used EverKleer Grain alcohol.

I made a Double Batch and did a bunch of experiments.

The one I like the best is the batch I fortified with Christian Brothers XO Rare Reserve Brandy.

This port is AWESOME. I did some with chocolate essence, orange, different oaks, Vodka...etc. None of them stand up to the one with the XO brandy.

BTW, it has only aged for 6 months...if its this good now, I can't wait for a year or 2. I have sampled the carboy and am trying to resist the urge to bottle.

WOW! Thank you all for all the great suggestions and especially JW for the link. That was some real interesting reading. Now I'm torn as to how to procede, but I do believe that George is going to get an order from me very soon! I think I'll print the tasting notes from George's batches for future ref.

Thank you all soooooo much!
smiley1.gif

Welcome Valerie!
Bert and I made a batch of port and argued over brandy vs everclear. We split the batch, 1/2 brandy & 1/2 everclear. Bert admitted the brandy 1/2 was better than expected, but now that the other 1/2,the everclear, is coming around, he's almost snubbing his nose at the brandy 1/2. That's fine. We'll drink the everclear portion first, and then it will be more for me with the brandy 1/2!
smiley36.gif

PWP...thanks for the info......I just ordered 2 LaBodega Ports from George and I think I'll try one with a brandy and one without, just to taste the difference. Should be interesting.

I know in the directions for the La Bodega it specifies Apricot brandy, wonder what thats like.

I tasted txclifton's tonight at our wine club meeting. It was really smooth!

HI VAL, I made an orange muscato port and let it age a couple of years it was perfect,if I chose to fortifiy any wine its with everclear and a small kick without adding any flavor//
smiley20.gif
Edited by: joeswine

Val M said:
PWP...thanks for the info......I just ordered 2 LaBodega Ports from George and I think I'll try one with a brandy and one without, just to taste the difference. Should be interesting.
If you're order 2 kits you could even try part fortified with brandy
smiley4.gif
, part fortified with everclear
smiley4.gif
, and part not fortified at all.
smiley3.gif
Then you could host a tasting party!

I might just try that, but I am making one of the kits for someone else. I'll let him decide what he wants to use. I might split mine up into 3 parts and try different things. It will be a real learning experience, and I'm sure I won't have any trouble finding people to come to a tasting party!!
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back