carboy for long term storage?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt1956

Junior
Reaction score
I am short of needed wine bottles. Can I use a carboy for long term storage. For a year or longer?
Thanks, Matt

sure, I lot of winemakers bulk age their wines for a year or more, just make sure you sulphite it every 3 months and keep an airlock on it and make sure you check the airlock here and there for water.

Matt, i am not great at navigating the site to see where you are located...but i always have 1-2 cases of used empties at minimum lying around...you or anyone are welcome to them

Check some wine stores and or wineries that offer wine samples. Usually you can get bottles for free or a couple bucks.

Many age their wines a year and more. As mentioned watch the airlock liquid. It evaporates over time. Monitor sulfite levels. Keep in a cool dark vibration free area.

Most of the people here dont buy bottles, we go to wineries, restaurants, and recycle places (dumps) to get our bottles. It is work to get the commercial labels off if you feel like some of us do and make our own labels but it saves a lot of money and keeps the price of this hobby down. I age almost all my wine in carboys with airlock for a year and check sulfite levels about every 3-4 months. You also need to check your airlock to make sure you have sufficient sanitary fluids in there. What I mean by that is you need to replace the fluids in there as sulfite solution weakens over times and water can get stagnant and bacteria can reside in there and if you get a low pressure system it can actually suck the fluids from the airlock in. Severe temp changes can also make the wine breath in like this when the wine contracts.

Hi Everyone,
Sorry I was out of town on a business detail.
Thanks very much for the good information!
And Al for the bottle offer.
Actually, I am in the south of Georgia so could not pick them up.

We have 3 acres of muscadines that were planted about 15 years ago for family and friends to enjoy. I decided to make wine.
2010 was my first attempt making about 30 gals. The muscadine was ,,,ummm maybe a little acidic but good.
2011 we made about the same with pear, muscadine, and persimmon.

The sweet oriental pear was awesome as well as the perssimon.
It just dissappeared too fast!
This year we will make more.

Al, I took a look at your website and am impressed.
Thanks,
Matt

Most of the people here dont buy bottles, we go to wineries, restaurants, and recycle places (dumps) to get our bottles. It is work to get the commercial labels off if you feel like some of us do and make our own labels but it saves a lot of money and keeps the price of this hobby down. I age almost all my wine in carboys with airlock for a year and check sulfite levels about every 3-4 months. You also need to check your airlock to make sure you have sufficient sanitary fluids in there. What I mean by that is you need to replace the fluids in there as sulfite solution weakens over times and water can get stagnant and bacteria can reside in there and if you get a low pressure system it can actually suck the fluids from the airlock in. Severe temp changes can also make the wine breath in like this when the wine contracts.

Happened to be reading and had a question about what your reply said. When you say "...check sulfite levels about every 3-4 months..."
How does one actually check the sulfite levels?

Ah thanks. Bit pricey for my volume. I think I'll stick with aging it in the corked bottles.

In addition to all of the other aging advise you might want to use a cheep vodka in you air lock instead of water. It only takes an oz or two and will keep any funny things appear in the water.

i would not. too much head space and since the wine is no longer producing co2, it will be exposed to the air which is never a good thing. best to bottle or put it into a carboy and top it up.

cheers

Latest posts

Back