Skittle Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjbryner

Reaction score
Ok I have 2 gallons going o9f skittle wine going, I raked it off last night and I'm now getting ready to do at least 5 gallons more.

The color is a muddy brown but does it ever smell and taste good.

I used danda's recipe but doubled it for the 2 gallons. I added the recipe and converted it to ounces and pounds.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82751&postcount=15

All Ingredients are per gallon
3/4 pounds of skittles
2 1/4 pounds of sugar
8.4 oz grape concentrate
1 tsp pectolase
Tannin
Nutrient
1 tsp acid blend or citric acid
Yeast

Pour the Skittles in a jug or bowl, pour over 2 pints of boiling water. Make sure that it boiling as you need to kill off all the preservatives.
Keep stirring, it will go into a gooey stodge but it will dissolve
add the sugar.
When cool to room temperature add the rest of ingredients
Put into a clean demi john.
Top up to shoulders of demi john with cold water. Fit an airlock and leave to ferment. This may take a few days or a couple of weeks depending on the temperature.
During this time you will get a orangey colour scum, this is ok.
When the bubbles stop coming through the airlock, or slow down to about one every 2 minutes.
Siphon off into a clean demi john. You may need to strain the wine to get rid of some bits left over.
Add 1 campden tablet and potassium sorbate.
Leave to clear.
When clear, siphon into a clean demi john or bottle.
Leave it a couple of weeks then add a campden before bottling.

Last edited:
The recipe on the bottom is for one gallon and not the doubled version?

The recipe on the bottom is for one gallon and not the doubled version?
Yes it's for one gallon I just converted it to ounces and pounds, I did not want to change anything else from the original posting of the recipe.

I'll edit it to show that.

Yes it's for one gallon I just converted it to ounces and pounds, I did not want to change anything else from the original posting of the recipe.

I'll edit it to show that.

Thanks for clearing that up but I have another question. I'm a newbie here!

Tannin nutrient, and yeast. How much of each since I will be buying it in bulk?

3/4 pounds of skittles
2 1/4 pounds of sugar
8.4 oz grape concentrate
1 tsp pectolase
Tannin
Nutrient
Yeast

I recommend a 1/8 tsp per gallon, However I'm going to up it to just a bout a 1/4 tsp per gallon when I do a 5 gallon batch.

This is will be a test to see what the best level of tannins is.

I've only tasted it here and there through out secondary but so far the smell and taste is a very fruity mix of flavors.

As soon as it clears ( If it clears) and I bottle it I'll let you know what the final verdict is.

But the WIFE seems to like it so far!

I'm going to give this one a try. I'm going to try to start a batch next weekend.

:u
If you make a batch of this you will get a kinda of white scum on top, It is a pain to clean out of a carboy!! It's more of a waxy feel to it.

SO I recommend that you you keep this in a primary bucket till you get rid of this scum. (about 2nd racking)

While I was racking my Spearmint Candy and Butterscotch candy wines, I thought I better post about the white waxy scum so no one dumps theirs.

Last edited:
If you make a batch of this you will get a kinda of white scum on top, It is a pain to clean out of a carboy!! It's more of a waxy feel to it.

SO I recommend that you you keep this in a primary bucket till you get rid of this scum. (about 2nd racking)

While I was racking my Spearmint Candy and Butterscotch candy wines, I thought I better post about the white waxy scum so no one dumps theirs.
but how does it taste?

I have never tried to make or drink any of these candy wines.
The Skettle wine sounds fun.
I love the taste of butterscotch, so how does it taste as a wine? Do you have the recipe?

Keep us updated.

I'll add the recipe for the butterscotch and spearmint here in a day or 2.
All 3 are really good.

Skittle's taste just like a handful of the candy, Just very fruity.

The spearmint has a really COLD feel to it at the very end. Kinda of hard to describe.

Butterscotch is a little light on body, But has a simple hint of butterscotch that lingers for just a second. Next batch I'm going to play with some roasted Oak, I think this will complement it.

Now keep in mind these are VERY young wines that I have never done before, So they might change with time.

I'd post more but my well died today and I'm working on a new one, More to come later.

TJ

All 3 are really good.

The spearmint has a really COLD feel to it at the very end. Kinda of hard to describe.

Butterscotch is a little light on body, But has a simple hint of butterscotch that lingers for just a second. Next batch I'm going to play with some roasted Oak, I think this will complement it.

Now keep in mind these are VERY young wines that I have never done before, So they might change with time.

I'd post more but my well died today and I'm working on a new one, More to come later.

TJ

As a plumber, I hope it wasn't actually your "WELL" that died (very costly to dig a new well). Hopefully you only need a pressure switch/tank or pump...

Good Luck

As a plumber, I hope it wasn't actually your "WELL" that died (very costly to dig a new well). Hopefully you only need a pressure switch/tank or pump...
Good Luck
Thanks Twistedvine,

Done some testing and seems the well has filled up about 15 feet with silt and the pump is now at the "bottom" of the well. Going to try and clean the well out, if that fails I Have a new one drilled this spring when the weather breaks.

All 3 are really good.

TJ

Know your busy with the well and stuff, but the recipes for these wines would be really great if you get the time! Wife wants me to make the butterscotch this weekend.

Depending on how deep your well is and were the water table sits, they may be able to just raise your pump...good luck

I just finished mixing up one gallon of Skittles wine. This is going to be sweet. ;)

I now have several batches of wine going. Look what you all have done to me! Bahahaha!!!!!

Ok I have 2 gallons going o9f skittle wine going, I raked it off last night and I'm now getting ready to do at least 5 gallons more.

The color is a muddy brown but does it ever smell and taste good.

I used danda's recipe but doubled it for the 2 gallons. I added the recipe and converted it to ounces and pounds.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82751&postcount=15

3/4 pounds of skittles
2 1/4 pounds of sugar
8.4 oz grape concentrate
1 tsp pectolase
Tannin
Nutrient
Yeast

Pour the Skittles in a jug or bowl, pour over 2 pints of boiling water. Make sure that it boiling as you need to kill off all the preservatives.
Keep stirring, it will go into a gooey stodge but it will dissolve
add the sugar.
When cool to room temperature add the rest of ingredients
Put into a clean demi john.
Top up to shoulders of demi john with cold water. Fit an airlock and leave to ferment. This may take a few days or a couple of weeks depending on the temperature.
During this time you will get a orangey colour scum, this is ok.
When the bubbles stop coming through the airlock, or slow down to about one every 2 minutes.
Siphon off into a clean demi john. You may need to strain the wine to get rid of some bits left over.
Add 1 campden tablet and potassium sorbate.
Leave to clear.
When clear, siphon into a clean demi john or bottle.
Leave it a couple of weeks then add a campden before bottling.

Okay I did as directed all the above but it in a bucket as a primary not glass. My question is this. Since it needs to ferment do I really want to follow the directions listed above in sealing it up with an airlock on it?
According to what I've been learning on here we want to leave it loose of cover with cheesecloth to let the air get to it.

Last edited:
I'm about 5 days into fermentation. About where should the SG be on this when it's ready to transfer?

Latest posts

Back