In Memory of Tom

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
onmysoap1.jpg

If I may get on my soapbox for just a few minutes. Prostate cancer when detected early is one of the easiest cancer's to treat. I should know, I am a Prostate cancer survivor. I was diagnosed 9 years ago this past Winter at the ripe old age of 49. Most people think of Prostate cancer as an old man's disease but many times it is not. I was lucky, my PCP was scheduling my annual physical and ticked the box for the PSA blood test along with the usual blood work one gets when approaching 50. It literally saved my life.

If you are Male approaching 50 or your significant other is please consider having a baseline PSA test done early and then each year after 50. Dan Fogelberg died at age 56 as well from advanced Prostate cancer.

When Tom was diagnosed it had unfortunately already advanced too much to contain and control. That is why early detection and screening is essential. Don't wait another year. Make that call. Get tested. Even if you have no symptoms. Especially if you have no symptoms. Your family and loved ones will be forever grateful that you did.

Tom

Tom and I shared a relation ship born of wine making and then friendship, we made wine together for about 15 years and in that time we had a great relationship sharing stories about wine contest we had both entered the wins and the losses but we never gave up when he and wade asked me to jump to his website I didn't give it a second thought Tom and wade allowed me to start "When good wines gone bad " and Tom introduced me to the community, he was a decent wine maker and a very good beer maker. One time when he asked me if I would go with him to a beer fest which was sponsored by barley legal, I said OK,little did I know the event was enormous popular but Tom said I going to set up my chick catcher ?? so he set up a table with chilled wines and he was correct the ladies flocked to the table. He also made a Raspberry white ale for the event and it was so good that he won a first place for his effort's ( would not believe how many beers we had that day and I m not a beer man, there had to be 30 tents set up all brewing beer when one finished they ring a big bell.. He was a decent man in his own right but he could be suborn when he wanted to be,when we had our wine group together he was a strong leader, He lived in a historic landmark in Delanco it was once the original post office and part of a historic site .He had at anyone time 10 to 15 carboy's going and at least 4 /6 beers kegs in the works. As he got sicker he just didn't have the strength to do what he would normally do ,so I would plan a day to go up and him and I would prep and then another time to bottle and box, he was running out of strength, eventually I was bottling and he was watching but we always had a small glass of vino even though at that point we both really weren't drinking it was tradition. There is a lot more I could say but a friend I have lost .Carol his wife and I will make plans to get his wine bottled the beer people will take care of the beer,(which I thought was great of them to come forward) when he was first found out to have cancer they had a fund raiser for him and the money was large that they raised. Barley legal is a great group of guys in my book. When I first did the cheap wine kits thread Tom was so, so and then he tried one MY WAY, he must of made 2 dozen so far, there are 2 left to do I took them home and Ill process them for Carol .He will be missed..

15.jpg

IMG_20160311_120540845.jpg

IMG_20160311_123202426.jpg

Last edited:
onmysoap1.jpg

If I may get on my soapbox for just a few minutes. Prostate cancer when detected early is one of the easiest cancer's to treat. I should know, I am a Prostate cancer survivor. I was diagnosed 9 years ago this past Winter at the ripe old age of 49. Most people think of Prostate cancer as an old man's disease but many times it is not. I was lucky, my PCP was scheduling my annual physical and ticked the box for the PSA blood test along with the usual blood work one gets when approaching 50. It literally saved my life.

If you are Male approaching 50 or your significant other is please consider having a baseline PSA test done early and then each year after 50. Dan Fogelberg died at age 56 as well from advanced Prostate cancer.

When Tom was diagnosed it had unfortunately already advanced too much to contain and control. That is why early detection and screening is essential. Don't wait another year. Make that call. Get tested. Even if you have no symptoms. Especially if you have no symptoms. Your family and loved ones will be forever grateful that you did.

Good advice Mike. Thanks for the reminder. I haven't had a physical in 5+ years anyway so I guess I need to.

So sorry for the sad news. We too are so grateful of the knowledge that Tom has shared in his posts. Our condolences to the family.

TXWineDuo

In keeping with his wishes and as thanks for his contributions, there will be "Something in My Glass Tonight!"

Holy Smokes I just read this, so sorry to hear the sad news. Tom was a great friend and helped me out many many years ago when i was first starting out. We talked on the phone and on line here and had many good laughs with other members. Even though he wasn't on much in the last few years as his health was declining he was never forgotten. RIP my friend!

I just now saw this and I'm so sorry for the loss of Tom. My sympathy goes out to his friends and family.

Latest posts

Back