Refrigerator aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa

Junior
Reaction score
Just typing an idea to get thoughts,opinions, and experiences?

What would be the out come of storing a 5 gal batch of blueberry wine under an airlock in a glass carboy, after 2nd fermentation?
For say.....3 months?

Just typing an idea to get thoughts,opinions, and experiences?

What would be the out come of storing a 5 gal batch of blueberry wine under an airlock in a glass carboy, after 2nd fermentation?
For say.....3 months?

In effect, you are simply cold stabilizing your wine by storing it in the low 30's for several months. The outcome could either improve or impair the taste as the acid precipitates out, and the resultant wines pH is modified. The raising or lowering of the pH is dependent upon the initial pH.

In effect, you are simply cold stabilizing your wine by storing it in the low 30's for several months. The outcome could either improve or impair the taste as the acid precipitates out, and the resultant wines pH is modified. The raising or lowering of the pH is dependent upon the initial pH.

Thank you for the reply. Gathering info & building ideas . This is all brand new to me & im finding myself thinking "what if " as this newly found hobby has me totally interested

It's blueberry wine, so it probably doesn't have much tartaric and might not precipitate anything at all.
Sometimes cold stabilizing like this does help clearing though.

It's blueberry wine, so it probably doesn't have much tartaric and might not precipitate anything at all.
Sometimes cold stabilizing like this does help clearing though.

Right on, but sometimes cold stabilizing stops it from clearing and you have to warm it up to get it to fall clear. And sometimes they will not clear, warm or cold til you hit them with finings. Wild plum did that for me, sat for over a year with no clearing, hit it with superkleer and a couple of days later it had cleared right up. Worked that way for me. Arne.

Right on, but sometimes cold stabilizing stops it from clearing and you have to warm it up to get it to fall clear. And sometimes they will not clear, warm or cold til you hit them with finings. Wild plum did that for me, sat for over a year with no clearing, hit it with superkleer and a couple of days later it had cleared right up. Worked that way for me. Arne.

I agree. I have found it difficult to predict. Sometimes two weeks in the fridge does wonders for clarity and sometimes it does bupkis.

Let the EXPERIMENTATION begin!!!!! Take a small sample (750ml or so) and put it in the fridge for a month. Observe what, if anything happens. Taste it and if it is to your liking proceed with the rest. If not to your liking, either experiment with additions or simply toss it. You've merely sacrificed a small portion for a greater good. Above all make notation of every step in the event things work out well! This will also conclude the "PATIENCE" portion of this hobby:br

Let the EXPERIMENTATION begin!!!!! Take a small sample (750ml or so) and put it in the fridge for a month. Observe what, if anything happens. Taste it and if it is to your liking proceed with the rest. If not to your liking, either experiment with additions or simply toss it. You've merely sacrificed a small portion for a greater good. Above all make notation of every step in the event things work out well! This will also conclude the "PATIENCE" portion of this hobby:br

Dag-gone I like that idea

Great idea, just make sure you sample both at the same temperature. The temperature of the wine will DRASTICALLY influence flavors.

Latest posts

Back