What Should I Charge?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I can't believe my luck!!! Received the email below earlier. Maybe 30% ;)

Dear Friend,

I have a proposal for you - this however is not mandatory nor will I in any manner compel you to honor against your will.

I am 50, and work with a bank (one of the African leading banks in the West Coast). Here in this bank existed a dormant account for the past 8 years which belong to one of the big customer who died on Egypt Air Flight 990.(Late Raymond Becks)

When I discovered that there had been neither deposits nor withdrawals from this account for this long period, I decided to carry out a system investigation and discovered that non of the family member nor relations of the late person is aware of this account.

This is the story in a nutshell.

Now I want an account overseas where the bank will transfer these funds. Thereafter, I had planned to destroy all related documents for this account. It is a careful network and for the past eleven months I have worked out everything to ensure a hitch-free operation.

The amount is not so much at the moment and plus all the accumulated interest the balance in this account stands at-(US$ 9.5 million US dollars).

Now our questions are:-

1. Can you handle this project?
2. Can I give you this trust?
3. What will be your commission?
If you can sponsor this transfer.

Consider this and get back at us as soon as possible. Finally, it is our humble prayer that the information as contained herein be accorded the necessary attention, urgency as well as the secrecy it deserves.

I Expect your urgent response if you can handle this project.

Yours faithfully.
Mahdi Aziz.

:) :) :) :)

Jim,

Congratulations, but I'd keep this quiet if I were you. You don't want others to horn in on your action. BTW, yesterday I got an email form somewhat at DocuSign telling me that my wire transfer is all set for me to approve. Thank goodness they took care of that for me because I don't even remember needing to set one up. It's a lucky day for both of us.

Enjoy your time with your new friend.

I have this funny feeling , we all, will be addressing Jim as MR.Boatboy24 from now on.

And I got this from a Mr. Woo Park this morning:

Sir,
Total Remittance: US $ 61,704.97 for our last order, Kindly advice date of shipment.
Regards,
Purchase and Logistics.

Not as large as yours but I get a number of these every week so they add up!

@from=monkey_boy_park%40hanmail.net&rcpt=richl%40hipvineyard.com&msgid=%3C20170510224418.iASA_pe6TMuG1eV344eBqQ%40monkey_boy_park.hanmail.net%3E

After you collect, you better be careful. Judging from the number of calls I have received, am guessing that the IRS is really cracking down on people. The good news is that they are willing to settle. All they need is your SSN. :)

I wanted to start on January 1 and add up all the money that was offered to me over the course of a year.

Wonder what amount I would have???

Wow, Jim, you sure are lucky not only for the opportunity but also to find such an intelligent and careful partner. I mean, what better way is there to maintain secrecy than to outline a conspiracy to commit grand larceny on the internet?! No way that could be discovered by Interpol. I think you should go for it. After you get out of prison having served 15-25 as an accessory, you will still have your commission to live on grandly. Some guys just have all the luck!

Well, at least you can be relieved that he is not compelling you to honor against your will.

I believe it was on this forum that someone explained that these scams are more efficient for their perpetrators if they are more poorly written. If it looks ridiculous to you, you won't respond; ergo, only people whose faculties are too limited to recognize the stupidness of the scam will respond, and they are better targets.

I cannot recall who explained this. Craig Mason ( @cmason1957 )? Bernard Smith ( @BernardSmith )?

Well, at least you can be relieved that he is not compelling you to honor against your will.

I believe it was on this forum that someone explained that these scams are more efficient for their perpetrators if they are more poorly written. If it looks ridiculous to you, you won't respond; ergo, only people whose faculties are too limited to recognize the stupidness of the scam will respond, and they are better targets.

I cannot recall who explained this. Craig Mason ( @cmason1957 )? Bernard Smith ( @BernardSmith )?

Interesting. Never looked at it that way.

I don't think it was me who said anything about the use of poor grammar as a deliberate tool. I suspect that you think that they are wiser and generally more competent than they really are. I do think that I may have said something about the idea that if they send out 100,000 emails and hook 1 or 2 people then the cost of doing (their ) business is small... so they are not looking for anything like 100% return on their emails... Just one fish that swallows their line is all they need to eat for a few weeks..::::::

Latest posts

Back