"Whole hive" mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update on using only hive products as yeast nutrient on different batches. I started 2 batches; 1 high OG pyment (using frozen organic grape juice concentrate), 1 triple-berry melomel (i.e. dragon's blood). I used no commercial energizer or nutrient. No oxygenation after pitching. No rehydrating the yeast before pitching. No additions of any kind after pitching. I used approximately 2oz of bee pollen, royal jelly and propolis per 5 gallons to act as nutrient.

All 3 batches fermented dry.

The pyment went from 1.120 to 1.006 in 17 days using 1 packet of pasteur champagne yeast. The triple-berry melomel went from 1.092 to 1.002 in 17 days using one packet of ec-1118.

I'm very excited by these results, in the past getting my meads to ferment dry was a huge production involving staggered nutrient additions and whipping oxygen into the must on a daily basis. This was simple, easy and (if you believe the principle behind it) results in a healthier beverage. All my meads are going to be whole hive from now on.

Very interesting. Wonder if the other ingredients added some "yeast nutrient" if nothing else..

Latest posts

Back