What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice day around these parts. Humidity went down a notch compared to earlier in the week. Dew points down to around 70*F (vs 78-80). So it was prime grillin' time (and beer drinking time). Whipped up a batch of my Mom's recipe for bbq sauce (vinegar/lemon/onion/Heinz ketchup/Worchestershire sauce based) to put on some cheap chicken I procured at the Giant earlier this morning. Went out to the garden and low-and-behold, some really nice green beaners. Paired with some local corn (which was very good) and a Luna white something or other from @jgmann67, it was quite the scrumptious meal. Now time to go sleep some of the calories off on the couch.

8-20-16_Moms-bbq-sauce.jpg

8-20-16_beaners.jpg

8-20-16_chicken.jpg

Busy morning here and more cooking for 'beach prep'. This morning, its sausage, meatballs and sauce. Up at 7 and right to work. Made up the meatballs, which consist of ground beef, 'meatloaf mix' (ground beef, veal and pork), breadcrumbs (soaked in milk), eggs, parmesan, S&P, a big 'ole bunch of chopped fresh parsley, and a touch of sweet italian sausage. While those roast, I get the sauce going with a bunch of simmered onion and garlic, then toss in half a bottle of my 2013 Valpolicella and let that boil for a minute. Then in goes several cans of peeled San Marzano tomato and some fire roasted diced maters. Add parmesan, bay leaves, oregano, S&P, red pepper flakes and a bunch of fresh basil ribbons. It's all simmering nicely now while I enjoy a cup of coffee. Tonight will be the test dinner to make sure I didn't screw anything up. Then into the freezer with the rest of it.

Chicken parm day has come. Freshly made sauce from yesterday and some pounded chicken breast sections fried up while it was raining this afternoon. Wife will be making a salad, just figuring out what pasta to serve it with. We have a nice whole wheat penne that I've been wanting to try, need to go lobby the kids.

8-21-16_chicken-parm-1.jpg

8-21-16_chicken-parm-2.jpg

8-21-16_chicken-parm-3.jpg

8-21-16_chicken-parm-4.jpg

@ceeaton: Parm looks great...no, amazing. And that electric skillet!! Haven't seen one like that in ages. I love it.

Last edited:
Took the 'extra' sauce and meatballs over to my parents' place tonight where Dad and I sampled a few possible blends for the 2015's. We sampled, had dinner, then Dad threw a few peaches on the grill for dessert. Served 'em up with vanilla ice cream and a splash of Amaretto. Yum!

IMG_4189.jpg

@ceeaton: Parm looks great...no, amazing. And that electric skillet!! Haven't seen one like that in ages. I love it.

I believe it may have been a wedding present, when my parents got married back in the 50's (I'm serious). I keep looking for one like it at yard sales, this one unfortunately is starting to show it's age.

I believe it may have been a wedding present, when my parents got married back in the 50's (I'm serious). I keep looking for one like it at yard sales, this one unfortunately is starting to show it's age.

It brought back memories for me. I remember my parents having one just like it.

Had some great food at the soft opening of ND's first vegan restaurant.

Nacho platter with "queso", guacamole and pico de gallo. Then tacos and coconut rice paella with "chicken" and "chorizo".

ImageUploadedByWine Making1472090075.843453.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1472090107.377122.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1472090116.993467.jpg

Looks delicious Greg, really. But (and I honestly mean no offense, just reminded me because I found it funny) it made me think of this:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O_VYcsIk8[/ame]

Then, I was reminded of this:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798[/ame]

:)

I need to show that first one to the vegetarian in the cubical next to me. We go out of our way to show off our latest animal protein lunches to her after we heat them at the microwave. She says how she feels so much better all of the time, I wonder if she's taken her pH lately?

The gluten intolerant one makes me think that my family are nightmare guests at any ones party. Two diabetics, one gluten intolerant, another with a peanut allergy. No wonder we never get invited anywhere!

I'm hoping @Boatboy24 adds to this post, being he is on vacation.

London Boil, garlicly red skinned potatoes with rosemary and some beans, green, yellow wax and burgundy (they turn green when heated). Had some extra kids and everyone gorged, no complaints. Score!

8-27-16_london-broil-1.jpg

8-27-16_london-broil-2.jpg

Sometimes, for no apparent reason, I crave a seasonal food, and today is one of those days. Was lucky enough to catch the local supermarket with a fresh load of turkeys and picked up a smallish one - 15 pounds. Wifey's feeling a little au naturale today, so it's smoking with a light addition of mesquite, seasoned on the outside only with a little Tony Chachere's. Yum!!!!

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back