WineXpert Potassium MetabisulPhite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneram

Reaction score
Ok , Newbie question, Seems like I have read most of the new eamils and many of the old topics. I have read and re-read instruction and some plain instruction that came with my first Wine Kit from George. And On my 2nd Batch Pinot Noir. Which by the way is coming along just fine, I'll send pics soon on that. No Issue to report and Following instruction to the T. Ok Long winded. Question I cant seem to get my hands around the teminolgy of Potassium MetabisulPhite and Sodium Metabisulphite. And I come from A Chemical Back ground for 20 years. What came with the first Kit and since then Bought and extra bottle from George is the Potassium Meta for Sanitizing, Well I also read the Sodium Meta is for Sanitizing. AND Which one of these is used for Long term Storage. Then Seems like I also readit is referred to as K-Meta. Alos is Three Teaspoons to 1 gal of water correct when using Potassium Meta to Sanitize. The reason I ask some instruction say 2oz and then other say three teaspoons which still may be one of the same. Just trying to Gain knowledge of full understanding. Sorry for it being so long I think you know what I'm asking. Thanks

They both can be used interchangably. Sodium Meta is a little stronger for killing the nasties. But in reality for a home winemaker, either product will do as both Sanitizer and anti-oxidant.

In short, you can use either. K-Meta seems to be much easier to find. Since the US Gov't Nutritional dept has been on an anti-sodium kick for health, I think that all winemakers switched from sodium to potassium to avoid having to say that the wine had sodium in it.

I also had this same confusion at first but now I use either one but when I do fruit base I use the K-Meta ..Only because thats what everyone else said they use . I went with what worked for other members on the forum..
smiley4.gif

From what I get, If you don't want any sodium in your process or finished product stick with Potassium metabisulfate. I use the sodium one for sanitizing, in my carboys and bottles when aging. Now i am making it in liquid .1 to use in place of campden tabs and in my acid test kit.
i have a gunpowder scale which will measure grains but the liquid seems easier and does more things.

I switched to NA-meta a few months ago for sanitizing because it's cheaper. I use K-meta if I'm adding directly to the wine.

I've read in several places that the amount of sodium you're introducing to your wine is not enough to be concerned about, but I'm not sure I buy that any longer. It sure does leave a dusting of salt everywhere after using it. And the other day I poured a glass and could swear that my nose detected a smell of meta. I could discern no obvious taste, but I really believe the smell was there. Maybe I'm accidently dosing too high or have psyched myself out by the salt deposits all over my work area.

On of the drawbacks in using the sodium metabisulphite is that Momma can track where you have been and didn't clean up
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back