Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Country Fruit Winemaking > Cherry wine

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #111
dcbrown73
Clueless Winemaker

Mar 2016
Liked 667 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek View Post
How's the cherry wine going for you guys?
I haven't checked mine in a while, so maybe tonight I will check it again. It's been a month since I stabilized and all..
I haven't touched it since I last racked it several weeks ago. I expect to rack it again around June. At that point, I expect to look into converting it to a Port. (or at least some of it)

Old 04-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #112
Scooter68
Still getting started at 20 batches & 2 years

Aug 2015
Liked 467 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 497

My 3 gallon batch is doing fine. Adjusted the Acidity a little - it had gone up to 3.75. Working it down below 3.60 gradually. Taste is great - a little dry for my liking but oddly the SG is at 1.010 where it stopped at the end of fermentation. I'm ok with that but I'm keeping an eye on it making sure there is no MLF or other re-fermentation starting.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Old 05-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #113
Shred5

May 2017

I am new to wine making. I have grape vines, apple trees and cherry trees.

I just want to clear up some stuff on cherries and the difference between tart and sweet cherries. Tart and sweet have nothing to do with the flavor or amount of sugar in a cherry it has to do with the species of tree they come from. Sweet cherry tree (P. avium) and the tart cherry tree (P. cerasus) . Basically a tart cherry can be sweeter and have more sugar than a sweet cherry. Tart cherries also are better for cooking because they hold up better.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #114
Scooter68

Aug 2015

"I just want to clear up some stuff on cherries and the difference between tart and sweet cherries. Tart and sweet have nothing to do with the flavor or amount of sugar in a cherry it has to do with the species of tree they come from. "

While I agree that the sugar amount of a ripe tart cherry is not necessarily different than a sweet cherry, the flavor is different. Just as different varieties of fruits vary in flavor, strength of flavor and even sugar contents. They are both cherries but there can be big differences in the characteristics of different cherry varieties.

I have 16 oz bottles of concentrated Black Cherry juice and Tart Cherry Juice the taste is very different but the sugar content of those is exactly the same (and the mix amount for an 8 oz serving of juice is the same 1 oz to 7 ozs of water = 1 serving = 120 calories)

I have over 30 blueberry bushes and each type has certain characteristics. Size, sweetness, color, time of ripening, etc. In my garden I chose different tomato plants because the have different characteristics in flavor, size etc. In fact when making Apple wine, those with a depth of experience recommend blending at least two types of apples for a wine and they also state that in general tart apples make better wines.

There are flavor differences between different varieties of fruit and vegetables. Yes there is a general flavor characteristic of a Cherry, Apple, Blueberry etc but within those fruits the flavor still varies especially if you are talking about a Tart vs Sweet variety.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

wildhair Likes This 
Old 06-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #115
geek

Sep 2012
Liked 1169 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 1919

Racked the cherry wine off the fine lees and the dark chocolate chunks.
Wine is very clear, it doesn't taste dry or sweet, cherry flavor is subtle and there's a hint of chocolate aroma.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1498411310.931550.jpg

Don Amado Cellars

People Like This 
Old 06-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #116
Smok1

May 2017
Liked 178 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Wine is very clear, it doesn't taste dry or sweet, cherry flavor is subtle and there's a hint of chocolate aroma.

Attachment 37189
That looks great

Old 06-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #117
geek

Sep 2012

Does anyone know a good place (hoping for something at a local supermarket?) to get some sort of cherry extract without any additives but pure cherry concentrate?
I'd like to add a bit more of cherry flavor to this wine, although maybe I should just let it age for a couple months....

The problem is that my 5gal carboy needs to be topped off, missing about 1/2 a gallon and I don't want to rack down since I only have 1gal jugs available right now.

For now is sitting with the head space eliminator...so maybe this will hold on just fine for a couple months...

Don Amado Cellars

Old 06-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #118
geek

Sep 2012

Wonder if this concentrate may be good:

From Walmart.

Don Amado Cellars

Old 06-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #119
wineforfun
Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Trying To Roast The Perfect Coffee Bean

Nov 2012
Liked 886 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 727

Quote:

Attachment 37189
Wine looks great and thanks for the idea of adding chocolate, I had forgotten about that. I have a batch of cherry fermenting as I type. Last batch I added some cinammon and clove. Turned out well. This one I may throw in some chocolate.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #120
Scooter68

Aug 2015

Quote:
Wonder if this concentrate may be good:

From Walmart.
Don't see anything wrong with it. I bought a bottle to see if I liked tart cherry before I made my first batch. For the wine itself I used this: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Natu...ce+concentrate

(One bottle of the concentrate equals 1 Gallon of the stuff you are looking at.) BUT you can walk into Walmart and have what they offer - today !

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)