What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been hitting this easy button a little too much lately. I guess it's easy to hit. Chicken fajitas for dinner. Noticed it was 5:20 and hadn't started the charcoal yet, quickly did that with a handful of hickory chunks and threw the chicken breasts on (at least they haven't gone up in price). Did indirect for a few minutes then hit the spurs so we could eat before 7 pm (actually sat to eat at 6:35). I just added a bit of sour cream to my wrap and it was fantastic, looking forward to a wrap for breakfast (the breakfast of champions).

5-26-20_fajitas.jpg

Had some charcoal left over, so heated up the pizza stone in the gas grill slowly, then put it on the Weber kettle grill to make some pretzels. Alas, not hot enough, moved over to the convection oven at 475 and finished them off. My youngest daughter's bday is in a few days, so need to practice. Imagining this will work well when I get my Kettlepizza addition for the kettle grill, just couldn't resist trying before I got it. She has eaten the top row of them (four I believe) so I think they are pretty good.

5-26-20_pretzel.jpg

At my local grocery store (owned by Krogers), the sale worked out to close to the same, 44 cents/lb for me compared to 42 cents/lb for Costco. But mine was "regular" Kingsford.

Another easy button dinner. Some ham steaks that were approaching best by date and some kielbasa. Hot dogs for youngest daughter will eventually be added. Thought that maybe some of @geek's family members might stop by...

View attachment 61670

We didn't get the memo, have to wait for the country to be fully open :cool:

Easy button once again. Turkey cutlets with salt and pepper on the grill, diced and then added it to a mixture of onion, shaker peppers, broccoli and sweet peppers, sauteed in olive oil and some chicken stock, added some store bought pesto and dinner was served. Added to some pasta and it was a one bowl meal. Like I said, easy button.

No pictures, it was gone before I thought of taking a picture.

Okay, I didn't take pics either, and wasn't going to post as a result, but Craig encouraged me.

I made ho-made sourfaux bread (but didn't turn out so well). Baked sweet potatoes; frozen broccoli rabe (lots of EVOO and garlic again); roasted romanesco broccoli (lemon/butter/caper/garlic sauce); and roasted Cafe Zuni chicken (salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, paprika).

Side note: The bag for the frozen broccoli rabe had big letters to say "Non-GMO!" Umm, yeah, 'cause you just know Big Ag is scheming to dominate the lucrative broccoli rabe commodity market with GMO broccoli rabe!

Side note: The bag for the frozen broccoli rabe had big letters to say "Non-GMO!" Umm, yeah, 'cause you just know Big Ag is scheming to dominate the lucrative broccoli rabe commodity market with GMO broccoli rabe!

I wouldn't put it past 'em. ;)

Got the KettlePizza insert today via UPS. Had a break in the lines of storms so I fired it up and gave it a try. I have a round steel coming next Tuesday, so I used the pan that came with the kit and a deep dish steel pan I've had for years (thanks Mom, it's at least 35 years old and well used). First pizza (pictured) was started at around 625*F, dropped when I initially put the pan in but rose back to about 610 as it cooked. 8 minutes, raised it up to get the toppings done. Crust was the best I can remember and my wife agreed (thought it rivaled a pizzeria bought pizza). Second one saw the temps drop quickly, this thing eats a lot of fuel. Only used a 7/8 full chimney of charcoal and 4 nice chunks of hickory. Will have to use more and have things ready to go as soon as I hit a high enough temperature. For a first try I'm pleased, but of course I need to experiment more (have enlisted the neighbors to sample my experiments so the family doesn't get too sick of pizza).

5-29-20_pizza-1.jpg

5-29-20_pizza-2.jpg

Looks good, Craig! Looking forward to more of your 'experiments'. We've got a few days of good weather coming up and I think the family is tiring of the usual fare. A good reason to break out my KP. May have to run out in search of 'good' flour in the morning.

This is a final picture. I should have taken a before. Started with a threr pound Chuck roast and about a pound piece of brisket. These were both from the quarter of a beer my wife and I got last year, they were getting nearly part prime. Anyway, in the smoker for about 7 hours, until the Chuck roast reached 190 F. Chunked up and added some BBQ Sauce, on the gas grill at as high as I could get it 550 F until the sauce thickened, stirring every 10 minutes. Final burnt ends picture.IMG_20200529_173716.jpg

More CSA goodies! Salad of fresh arugula, radishes, and mushrooms, all from CSA, with ho-made dressing of EVOO, fresh lemon juice, mustard, and minced garlic scapes. Dinner had orzo cooked risotto-style (smoked paprika); sauteed beet "noodles" with garlic and sesame oil; cold, sliced chicken breast leftover from our Cafe Zuni chicken the other day, and the star of the show, fresh CSA spinach sauteed with onions, mushrooms, garlic, and served with lots of EVOO, black pepper, and fresh lemon juice. All washed down with a simple-but-satisfying Bogle Chard.

IMG_0574.jpg

Cooked a 5.25 lb Perdue roaster chicken @ 225 for about 4 hours. Used some apple wood on the Weber bullet (our dinner). Also talked my neighbor into accepting a couple of pizzas so I could experiment more with the KettlePizza insert on my Weber kettle grill. Put a base of unlit briquettes and topped with 3/4 of a chimney of lump charcoal. Put a small mesquite log on top and it quickly reached 700+ degrees. Cooked them two pizzas, the first took 4 minutes (unbelievable). Held 675 for the second one and is still around 500 now, so if I threw on some more fuel I could cook a few more (thinking summer gatherings here). Serving the chicken with some hash browns my wife is cooking up and I'm guessing a salad (she's in charge of side dishes).

I like Saturdays!

5-30-20_chicken.jpg

5-30-20_pizzas.jpg

Latest posts

Back