BOGO! BOGO! Coastal white - no limit!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I said that to myself as I pushed BUY too, Rob.

IMHO, get yourself some oak chips to throw in primary. 4 ounces of a medium toast. Makes all the diff. This kit will not come with them.

Me too .. Never made this before but couldn't resist.

I have done four of the reds and added oak to it. I had to stop making it....sooo sooo good......I was drinking way to much of it

Thanks for the link. Just purchased 2. And to top it off my sister in law is picking them up for me to save on shipping. Woot!

I go this deal last December. As many have said, the description of this wine is a little deceptive, saying it has lots of body and taste. I found it quite light in body and taste but I really like it. I jumped on this deal again.

Thanks Jswordy. I ordered oak also.

How much and how long should I leave the oak in in your opinion?

I'll do it like they do with the Mezza Luna kits - put the oak chips in primary and rack off it into secondary. Without the oak, the wine misses structure.

Looking at it another way, this is a cheap way to get a known must for use with experimental wines, which is what I am going to do with one of the kits.

I ordered medium toast american cubes and will try it. I think I will like it better than french, I don't know.

Have you added raisins on that yet? would you?

I ordered medium toast american cubes and will try it. I think I will like it better than french, I don't know.

Have you added raisins on that yet? would you?

Try raisins, I never used them with kits. I have not made that many kits. I bought the Mezza Luna white kits on BOGO and they had oak with them.

Wanna share what you have in mind? I'm using one from the last sale that's close to blending time and still have one un-opened that I'm look for ideas for. Think co-fermenting with 20lbs. of strawberries and bananas would work or would it be a waste of fruit?
Mike

Jumped on a deal of two.

I'm saving on the shipping because I can pick it up at their store!

These will be the 2nd and 3rd time I've made this style.

I's a nice wine!

Wanna share what you have in mind? I'm using one from the last sale that's close to blending time and still have one un-opened that I'm look for ideas for. Think co-fermenting with 20lbs. of strawberries and bananas would work or would it be a waste of fruit?
Mike

I was thinking of doing that with strawberries. I have some frozen left over from an earlier batch. Let's try it and see!

Last edited:
ends up being $45 each kit shipped, without the oak or raisons

Yep, turns out to be $44 each for me with shipping. One normal kit is $58, plus $20 shipping to me. Buying two normal kits gets me a break on shipping, which then is $31.

So, I got for $88.07 what would have cost me $147. That's about 40% off. To me, 40% off to my doorstep is a deal.

I don't use raisins in kits. A bag of oak chips is $5. So if I use oak the cost is $50 a kit. A 6-gallon yield is 30 bottles, or $1.67 each. Even if I only get 25 bottles, I am at $2.50 for an oaked wine. That is Oak Leaf brand wine at Wally World price for a much nicer vintage.

Got four for myself for experimentation. I have oak on hand, so I'm good to go. I'll do an oaked, one with some fruit---like Kraffty suggested---and hold onto two for later. Cost was $166 to my door, or $41.50 per kit. I still think that's a great deal! Since I'm not too far away, they are supposed to be here tomorrow!

And I was just fretting over my three empty ferementers. Silly me! :slp

HMMM now you guys got me thinking here instead of just a strawberry wine I can use what I got thus far frozen and toss this in with one of the kits....decisions decisions

Latest posts

Back