RJ Spagnols SG all wrong before pitching yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashy

Reaction score
So we went down to the Toy Store today and picked up an Orchard Breezin' kit today. We added a batch of invert sugar (5 lbs. boiled 20 minutes w/ a bit of lime juice) plus all the normal juice and water and bentonite. Temp is 75-76 degrees, but the SG is supposed to be 1.050 to 1.060 - I'm assuming adding all the sugar will throw this number off, but is 1.008 right?
smiley5.gif
I would have thought it would have gone the other way.......

....So the batch is sitting in the primary and I thought I'd ask before pitching the yeast.

Help!

[EDIT: OK, I must be losing my mind. I just went back and checked the SG again. 1.112 - which is higher than the default and would be what I expected after adding the invert stuff. So I pitched the yeast and sealed 'er up. I'm sure this had nothing to do with the % of alcohol on my brain at the time.....]Edited by: trashy

Trashy you are going to have to quit using the vial for your hydrometer readings for a wine glass. Or at least pour out what wine you haven't drank before you add the sample from your must.
smiley36.gif

we took a small sample of the Amarone earlier, but then we finished off a bottle of Columbia Crest Merlot/Cabernet, and then started (and finished) a bottle of WE Zinfandel. Then I smoked a cigar. So, the formula would be 1.112 - 1.008 x 131.25 = 13.65% ABV on my brain - does that look about right? LOL

That sounds a little high for 5 lbs. of sugar. Did you stir it REALLY well. Which Breezin kit did you get?

Yes, we stirred well - plus the invert sugar mix was added in while we were adding the juice and extra water, so there was a lot of pouring/mixing going on. This is the Blueberry Shiraz kit, I think...blueberry something....

Blueberry Pinot Noir. I have this one sitting still telling me to start it!

To get up to 1.112 SG with this kit you would have to add over 6.5 lbs of sugar. With an additional 5 lbs of sugar your SG should have come in around 1.090 - 1.095 unless RJS has increased the concentration of their Orchard Breezin' kits from the standard 7-8% abv with no added sugar.

so you're saying it's going to be sweet and strong? LOL

I just double-checked the empty sugar bag from the trash. 4 lbs. Plus we added an extra pound which the wifey weighed on a scale. I don't get it....

P.S. It is the Blueberry Shiraz kitEdited by: trashy

Yep sorry, I picked up 2 kits, 1 new Orchard kit and 1 new IM kit and I
got the brands mixed up! I picked up the Blueberry Pinot Noir and I was
thinking it was the Orhard Breezin. The Orchard Breezin kit is the
Watermelon White Merlot in which I was Thinking was the IM!
smiley5.gif

Latest posts

Back