SG up? Is this normal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
My SG was right at 1.000, I left for 3 days and now its at 1.002, is this normal?

In the carboy, I can see some small bubbles, but not enough to product a bubble in the airlock after a few minutes.

What is going on here?

Is there much of a chance it will come down to 0.996 after I rack, then degas it? ( I have about 1/4 inch of sediment)

PS. I have no idea what the actual starting SG was, because it was already cold fermenting when I got it.

Last edited:
I don't think the SG went up - it probably got suspended by what sounds like CO2 bubbles occurring. I would say degass it and re-check your SG.

How far along are you?
What kind od wine is it?
MLF may have also started..
Need more info

OK then I think its gassing. Is the gravity the same? I think for only 10 days you have a bit lower to go ..

Any major temp changes? I believe that can cause variations in the SG readings too.

Mark

If high/low pressure changes affect this we've had a huge swing in barometric pressure in the past week. Record low system that came through last week and now its clear with high pressure. I see you are in Illinois and that storm came right over you with the high winds.

OK, so now wait for a week or so and see if the gravity changes.

OK, so now wait for a week or so and see if the gravity changes.

Thanks!

I added 1/4t sulfites just now, was that a bad move?

And if it does change, wait until it stops changing and then degas again?

yea bad move. So, lets see what happens

Sheet!! I have no bubbles what so ever, not even small ones in the carboy.

If seems if there was any yeast left, it is now been killed off.

Should I splash rack it? Add some yeast? Increase the temp of it? Call it a sweet wine and bottle it up after it clears? Keep it in the carboy 6mo or longer?

HELP!!

:sh:rdo:sh:rdo:sh:rdo

Last edited:
U R to fast on the trigger. Remember my 3"P's" !

Patience
Pateince
Patience

Latest posts

Back