Making wine from juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyk22

Junior
Reaction score
This is my second year and second batch. I made wine from juice last year and did not add any sort of chemicals, etc. I assumed that you only needed to do that when making from grapes. So, I am making from juice again (a red and a chardonnay) should I be testing and adding chemicals, etc. during fermentation stages? Bottom line, do I need to add anything except the yeast and if so, when and how? Thanks!

This is my second year and second batch. I made wine from juice last year and did not add any sort of chemicals, etc. I assumed that you only needed to do that when making from grapes. So, I am making from juice again (a red and a chardonnay) should I be testing and adding chemicals, etc. during fermentation stages? Bottom line, do I need to add anything except the yeast and if so, when and how? Thanks!

Johnny welcome to the forum. You came to the ight place for your questions.

I'm going to presume this juice is from Calif. or a vinyard. You will need a hydrometer for gravity readings both before and after fermentation. Potassium Metabisulfite as a sanitizer. Yeast nutrient and yeast. I prefer the Lalvin brand. Sorbate if you plan to sweeten efen if just a bit to bring out the flavor and you may or may not wish to use a clairifier such as sparkolloid or bentonite.

Latest posts

Back