Zorks for Stelvin Bottles??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSGuardsman

Reaction score
As with everyone else recycling bottles, I get a fair number of Stelvin (screwtop) bottles. While they can be corked easily enough, because the bottle's lip is so thin, they are not the easiest to uncork.

I have recently tried Zorks with success; using a bottle top capper attachment on a Colonna Bench Corker/Capper. However, the last few that I have installed are leaking slightly (Zorks have a little tattle-tale drip hole that indicates when they are not seated right).

Does anyone have any experience with Zorks on Stelvin bottles and any suggestions on how to better seat them on the bottles to prevent leaking?

KSG:

I haven't used Zorks in any bottles, but when I ran an FoP I saw several people cork screw cap bottles (that looked Stelvin style). Experience showedthat there were three different inside diameters of the bottles showing up in the store. One definitely too large too cork (or Zork). The other two visuallylooked very similiar in size. I used a tasting cork to check them. The tasting cork would fall out of the'medium' bottles, and stay in the 'smaller' bottles.

My guess is that you have a couple of those medium sized ones.

Steve

I think you are probably right. They are great if they are the proper fit. I'll have to do some personal research on Stelvin bottles and their dimensions next time I am back up in Missouri visiting some of my (commercial) winery friends and get the 411.

I am probably going to cork those leaky bottles and pray I don't break the lip when I go to pull them back out (it's happened in the past with a double and single-pull waiter's corkscrew).

I have a few used zorks I keep around to reseal a 1/2 bottle of wine (after gassing, of course!). From here on I will test fit them before going Zork on all my Stelvin bottles at bottling time.

Latest posts

Back