Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Pinot Gris

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geocorn

Vendor
Reaction score
We racked the Pinot Gris today and I thought I would share some pictures and thoughts.
20070401_144725_Pinot_Gris_Befo.jpg

This is the sediment from today. Why I posted this picture is that this is the color the wine start out as. I was most sceptical at the beginning.

20070401_145042_Pinot_Gris_Afte.jpg

Here it is racked into a 5 gallon carboy. I was not going to dilute this wine with ANYTHING. I only thought I had tasted Pinot Gris. This wine is the best white I have ever made. The bottle of sediment is in the frig for drinking tonight!

My wife and I also tasted the following:

All Juice Sauvignon Blanc

All Juice Trebbiano

All Juice Chardonnay
Master's Barolo
Meglioli Barolo

All of these wines are 6-10 weeks old and starting to develop some really nice complexity. The Chard has been a disapointment up to today, by the harsher tannins have started to fade and the flavors are coming out. All of these will be very good wines with the Meglioli Barolo being a fantastic wine. I will definitely have the Meglioli's for sale next year, so start managing your wine budget accordingly. If you want to make the best kit wine, this is it!

BTW, the wine wanted more than just a taste of the Pinot and Barolo, but I told her, "NO"! The couch is looking very comfortable tonight!
smiley19.gif

Wow thats a weird color. Must be so light that the bentonite color just completely takes over.

That was the color before I added the bentonite. It was a very gray juice.

That is truely incredible, I can't beleive it................

You said No to your wife?????

Couch will only look good if she lets you in the house now.........
smiley36.gif

She claims that the only patience I have is for wine. She on the other hand will not let the wines age. The only way I can keep her out of the good stuff is to hide it away and tell her, No! She knows I'm right, but does that really matter?

I had the great pleasure to drop in on George on my way from Memphis to Austin for a wedding. (more on the visit coming in General Discussions) I got a sip of the Borolo. WOW. The nose was very much like a bold red at 8 weeks. The taste, however, was something completely different. This wine was already bursting on the tongue. The tannins were assertive, but already forming into what they needed to be.

I have no great palate, but I'm already budgeting to take one of these home from WineStock '07. This wine will be great there, but I'll bet it will own WineStock '08. (If there is any left!!!)

I do have a confession to make. I have one more of the Meglioli Barolo on hand. I thought I had it sold, but I have not heard back, so I am going to make it myself. That way we should have plenty for this year and I will hold back a case for next year.
The Meglioli's won't be available until January 2008. The Amarone is usually in the first release while the Baroloand the Pinot Gris arein the February release.

BTW, it was my pleasure as well. I just wish you had had more time. What time did you finally show up in Austin?Edited by: geocorn

George, we got to the hotel at 10:15. We did get lost for a while after we got to Austin.

The worst part was the construction zones. At one point we hit a pothole the size of Rhode Island (really, Masta, I've been to RI!!). The right front tire hit the hole at 60 mph and the whole car shook. On the right were those construction zone concrete barriers, and on the left were cars at 70 mph, with only 2 car lengths between them.

If I had bought Virginia those alloy wheels she wanted for the '96 BMW we'd all be dead now. As it was, the OEM steel wheel got major dents, but kept on rolling. Um, imagine where the money being put aside for the alloy wheels will be spent?

I tasted this and am already budgeting for some of these kits next year when they come out again.

George

So this is a limited edition not available until next year?

What will be the cost of the kit?

Thanks

This year they would have listed for around $200.00, some less, some more, depending on the varietal.

Yes, they are limited editions. 4 each come out in January, February and March. Here is the list from this year and I don't think it changes much from year to year.

January
Amarone Mondiale (with raisins)
Carmenere
Yakima Valley Riesling
Yakima Valley Gewurtztraminer

February
Merlot del Veneto
Barolo Mondiale (with raisins)
Rojo Intenso (with raisins)
Pinot Grigio Del Veneto

March
Chardonnay Del Veneto