I bought some welches grape concentrate today for backsweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought several cans of Welches frozen white grape concentrate today for backsweetening my Scuppernong wine which is pretty dry. I know that sweetening is determined by personal taste but I was just wondering....How many 11.5 oz cans of concentrate do most wine makers use in a 5 gal batch? I know that this is a relative question but I was just going use this to find out where most people land.

Sorry, can't help you. IMO I would just take out some wine, warm that up, add sugar and then add that back to the wine for backsweetening.

Add a little bit at a time and taste it as you go. Stop when you are satisfied with the flavor and sweetness.

1 can, 2 at the most. You won't adversely effect the flavor with 1-2 cans. If it's super dry and still needs sweetening after adding 2 cans I'd start adding simple syrup or corn syrup using the method Julie described.

One thing to know, when you start adding things right before bottling, you can wind up with some cloudy wine. Sometimes it clears right up and sometimes it can be a bear to get to clear again. Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it can be kinda disappointing.

Latest posts

Back