• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking To Purchase: Wine Sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatoneguy

Junior
Reaction score
I need to buy some natural tartrate. Unfortunately cream of tartar will not work because it's too pure for my purposes, so I'll need wine diamond sediment, the stuff that's deposited after fermentation and clarification.

http://shutupandmakewine.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/dsc03022.jpg
http://shutupandmakewine.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/dsc03035.jpg

:mny Just name your price per gram, as well as the maximum amount you can supply and over what time period. I'll need at least 3.5 ounces. The price is for dried Potassium bitartrate sediment from wine. A small amount of contaminants from other portions of the sediment is fine, but it should be free from major impurities like larger bits of grape skin, etc.

Last edited:
Wow, if you posted this a few days ago I could have given you grams and grams of this stuff. I had a 225L stainless vessel with a crazy amount of diamonds on the bottom but they ended up getting rinsed down the drain.

Had a vineyard tell me the same thing! I guess harvesting season is over and everyone's starting to clean out their tanks. My fault for procrastinating. But if you get some more later on, just PM me. Minimal amount to make it worth everyone's time is probably 1 ounce dried. My offer stands indefinitely.

Last edited:
I had a couple carboys of high acid wine that I put in my garage during a wisconsin winter cold spell. The acid precipitated on the sides of the carboy and at the bottom. I racked off the wine and dried the crystals, saving them in a jar. I have about 3 ounces of clean, pure crystals. Is this what you are looking for?

EEEEE GAAADS Just emptied a 500 gallon tank and I through enough that would have filled a six gallon pail. We were joking, dried out it looked liked Rice Krispie treats.

I had a couple carboys of high acid wine that I put in my garage during a wisconsin winter cold spell. The acid precipitated on the sides of the carboy and at the bottom. I racked off the wine and dried the crystals, saving them in a jar. I have about 3 ounces of clean, pure crystals. Is this what you are looking for?
Yep, that's the stuff. Wine diamonds.

May I ask what you are using it for? Just curious.
I'm trying to see if naturally formed compounds have different properties from their synthetic counterparts.

EEEEE GAAADS Just emptied a 500 gallon tank and I through enough that would have filled a six gallon pail. We were joking, dried out it looked liked Rice Krispie treats.
:( Any idea when you might get another 6 gallons of the wine diamonds?

I'm trying to see if naturally formed compounds have different properties from their synthetic counterparts.

As a chemist I can tell you the answer is no. Of course the wine diamonds are less pure than commercial cream of tartar.

I'm curious - what do you mean by "synthetic counterparts"? Commercial cream of tartar is made from grapes. What experiments are you planning to do and what differences between wine diamonds and commercial cream of tartar are you expecting.

I was looking online and they say that it's obtained from the winemaking industry, but I don't think that's accurate. Might've been true a hundred years ago or something, but nowadays I've seen it sold by the barrel. It's more likely that they use other chemicals to synthesize it in some sort of reaction.
Yeah, in theory if compounds are chemically identical, they should have the same properties, but I like to think there might be something different. After all one was formed naturally within a plant and the other was synthesized.

I was looking online and they say that it's obtained from the winemaking industry, but I don't think that's accurate. Might've been true a hundred years ago or something, but nowadays I've seen it sold by the barrel. It's more likely that they use other chemicals to synthesize it in some sort of reaction.

What makes you think that is not accurate? Nature does a great job of making tartaric acid. It is not more likely that cream of tartar is made from scratch.

Yeah, in theory if compounds are chemically identical, they should have the same properties, but I like to think there might be something different. After all one was formed naturally within a plant and the other was synthesized.

I understand you would like to think they are different, but they would be chemically identical. There is nothing inferior to synthesis. Either the plant synthesizes it or a person does. The chemical entity is the same.

Ah, Greg, there you go, being all "scientific" and stuff. You probably think an unoaked Cabernet Sauvignon is the same as a heavily-oaked Cab., because they are 'chemically identical'. :p

Just messin' with you, Greg...

Bartman said:
Ah, Greg, there you go, being all "scientific" and stuff. You probably think an unoaked Cabernet Sauvignon is the same as a heavily-oaked Cab., because they are 'chemically identical'. :p

Just messin' with you, Greg...

Heh. Yeah, sorry. I am a scientist and have an irrational compulsion to dispelling misinformation.

No offense to the original poster. :)

Someone has generously donated a quantity of tartar so I will not be needing any for now. Will update this thread as needed.

How do you plan on going about testing for the chemical purity of the diamonds? Also how do you plan on seperating the potassium bitartrate from the other natural impurities in sediment? Seems like an interesting experiment.

I'm still wondering what experiments you plan to do. Care to enlighten us?

Does it have anything to do with winemaking?

Seen it sold by the barrel? for how much? I'd gladly sell it by the barrel instead of washing it down the drain.. Why would industry "synthesize" the stuff when winemakers like myself wash untold amounts down the drain?

Latest posts

Back