WineXpert "Contre Le Vent" CabSauv First Batch Journal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I racked batch 2 and left it sit in the exact spot it will be (elevated) when I go to bottle it next week. One thing that makes me feel better about batch 1 though, the sample I just took of batch 2 today when racking I took from the top and it was very very clear. The sample I took from batch 1 was from the bottom after pumping the siphon trying to fight for the last few drops. I moved the carboy from batch 1 no more than I just moved the carboy from batch 2 so my bottled batch 1 might be just fine. I could have made it cloudy by messing with the siphon and sloshing around the bottom with the sediment. I guess I'll know when I pull the first cork, either way I feel a little better about it.
:ib:dg

You're just way too much. Don't be surprised if I show up on your door step some with a bottle of wine to drink with you.

That would be great! I do have ~500 bottles of wine in the house, so, if you show up, you are welcome even if "one arm is as long as the other" as me Irish grandfather used to say.

Good news, I opened a bottle for Christmas dinner and my wine is crystal clear. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. This afternoon the PVC shrink caps and labels go on. All set!

Attachments

• Clear1.jpg
    Clear1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • Clear2.jpg
    Clear2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
  • Clear3.jpg
    Clear3.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
  • Clear4.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
Well how did you like it? Was it up to your expectations?

Oh yeah, I guess I could have spoken to it's nose and taste in addition to how it looks. :)

It has a black cherry like smell which reminds me of a William Hill Merlot-Cab bench blend that I've had recently. The flavor is a medium bodied bold cab with an earthy start and a subtle tart but dry finish. At least that's what I get from it, I am very happy with it too - especially being my first batch. I can't wait to let it age in the bottle for a year or two and see how it transforms. My dad will be here in 2 days, it's his approval I'm really looking for, and another someone who gave me a lot of help along the way. :)

I got all the PVC shrink caps and labels done today. It's 100% complete! Batch 2 will be bottled and labeled the same way in a few days, can't wait to have a bottle and compare it with batch 1. Batch 3 you ask...oh, it's coming, and it's probably going to be an RJS, something with grape skins to step it up a notch. I was thinking a Cab Malbec or maybe their Cab Shiraz Merlot. Anything with a dry cab profile is down my alley, all suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

• Batch1Complete.jpg
    Batch1Complete.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 7
I was thinking a Cab Malbec or maybe their Cab Shiraz Merlot. Anything with a dry cab profile is down my alley, all suggestions are welcome![/QUOTE]

Not sure where you like or the availablity but you may want to consider the spring Southern Hemisphere harvest. Did my first last spring. The process is the same you just need to buy your own yeast and chemicals. It's a lot more fun and cheaper then kits.

I think I've settled on the Italian Amarone Style with skins kit from LP or the Cabernet Sauvignon World Vineyard with skins from Grape and Granary since my dad can go there personally and I won't have to pay shipping. Also, dad approves and I got a wine rack for Christmas. I'm going to need another one for batch 2 and yet another one if I get batch 3 going...holy crap.

Attachments

• WineRack.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
If I had to choose between them, I'd go Amarone, FTW!

I saw you were making it and have made previous batches, what do you like about it? I'm mostly a cab drinker, how does it compare to a nice bold cab? Is it dry?

I saw you were making it and have made previous batches, what do you like about it? I'm mostly a cab drinker, how does it compare to a nice bold cab? Is it dry?

Bold, dry, ABV around 15%. Medium-full bodied. Stewed cherry and dark chocolate on the palate. It's like a Cab in that it's a big, dry red that you typically have with a hearty meal. But, outside of that, they're very different wines.

Latest posts

Back