WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went with Bogle Merlot, which I can get for about $8.50. To my palate, this wine is very simple, but very tasty. Nice, round, soft, supple, if a bit one-dimensional. Seemed like an innocuous choice for top-off!

I went with Bogle Merlot, which I can get for about $8.50. To my palate, this wine is very simple, but very tasty. Nice, round, soft, supple, if a bit one-dimensional. Seemed like an innocuous choice for top-off!

That's $10 here in the People's Republic of Pennsylvania. And now you know at least one reason I'm making my own wine. =)

That's $10 here in the People's Republic of Pennsylvania. And now you know at least one reason I'm making my own wine. =)

I never understood the PA State Store system. I grew up in Philly, but, thankfully, about a 15 minute drive from the nearest liquor store in Jersey. I thought I understood, if did not agree with, the State Store, but then I visited New Hampshire once. They have a state liquor store, but they use the power of their monopoly to render LOWER pricing. Why couldn't we do that???

I never understood the PA State Store system. I grew up in Philly, but, thankfully, about a 15 minute drive from the nearest liquor store in Jersey. I thought I understood, if did not agree with, the State Store, but then I visited New Hampshire once. They have a state liquor store, but they use the power of their monopoly to render LOWER pricing. Why couldn't we do that???

Because the PLCB has been a patronage plaything for many moons... Politicians and unions are equally complicit in screwing the Commonwealth. It doesn't help either, that it's been run by imbeciles for the better part of a 80 years.

The big-three wholesalers have their way with the PLCB, and see the system as more of a math problem than an adversary. Take the maximum they think they can squeeze from the consumer, then subtract: A 30% markup; 18% Flood Tax; 1% "prompt pay"; and, an average of a $1.50 LMTF fee and you get the wholesale price in PA (shorthand, what they want the retail price to be, minus 47% = wholesale). There is no one in the PLCB interested in getting a better price for the consumer.

It is the most expensive, least responsive and thoroughly inconvenient system of liquor distribution foisted on consumers and retailers in the entire nation. We are branded "criminals" for seeking better price, selection or convenience elsewhere...

But, I don't have any strong feelings on the subject. :r

Last edited:
Good 4 you jgmann67! I've got some work to do today too. I'll have 3 kits showing up on my doorstep today:)

Curious... we can only get Bogle's Petit Syrah up here, but it goes for 23$. I figure the price is probably outrageous but I was wondering if anyone has tried it?

8$ !!? Wow I knew we were getting gouged but that is excessive. And now you know a big reason why I make my own wine.

what does good wine cost? .

My tastes go towards California cabs, (sebastiani, liberty school, Rodney strong) All go for about 22$. Based on your opinion of the Bogle sounds like these are better "deals" (I use the term very loosely)

Craig -- Under $8 for the Petite Sirah? I cannot swear to it, but I think that the PS goes for $10 or 12 here, even though the Merlot is $8 or 9.

I could be wrong about the price, that is for sure. I have only tried a couple of the Bogle varieties and did not find them to my liking, so I don't pay very close attention to the price. It certainly isn't $23.

Moved the Merlot today. Lots of junk at the bottom - I'd say almost 1.5 L lost.

Dropped in the KMeta and Chitosan. Waiting the 8 days, then transferring to a clean carboy and dropping in the oak cubes for at least a 2 month nap.

Didn't top off today, but will at the next racking.

I was just going to find this thread and put my $0.02 in! :) I moved mine out of clearing stage into bulk aging just now. I thought it tasted wonderful. I added 2.5 g Tannin Riche Extra for aging. I also have high, high hopes for this wine.

I was just going to find this thread and put my $0.02 in! :) I moved mine out of clearing stage into bulk aging just now. I thought it tasted wonderful. I added 2.5 g Tannin Riche Extra for aging. I also have high, high hopes for this wine.

Hey Paul,

I have a package of Tannin Riche Extra I was going to eventually use on the wine from my Merlot bucket. Have you used it enough to be able to tell the difference between 0.2g per gallon vs. 0.4g per gallon (which is the range recommended on the package from MoreWine)? I originally only got enough for about a 6 gallon batch at 0.3g per gallon, and now it looks like I'll have 9-10 gallons because of the extra juice from the lugs of grapes I hadn't originally expected to order. Never used it before so I'm wondering if I should order more? Will be trying to age this batch 18 months, we'll see how that goes! Thanks.

Latest posts

Back