wild rhubarb wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My recipe for rhubarb wine is:
10 lbs rhubarb diced in 1 inch pieces and frozen
10 lbs of white sugar
1 gallon white grape juice
3 lbs of frozen rasberrys
Champagne yeast

Boiled 2.5 gallons of water. Turned off burner and dissolved sugar. Cooled syrup added to 6.5 gallon brew pail with thawed fruit. Let sit for 3 days. Strained out fruit and pressed as much juice as possible. Added grape juice and enough water to make 6 gallons. Added yeast food and yeast.
Ferment was very active and lasted about 5 days. After 2 weeks racked to a Carboy. Let it sit for about 2 months at about 65 degrees. Racked it again and then cold crashed it for about a month. Hit with campden tablets and back sweetened with 2 cups of sugar. Came very clear with a light red color.
OG 1.090
E.G. 0.994
Like everything else I make some people absolutely loved it others didn't
That looks good and I have more than enough rhubarb to try it. I like adding the white grape juice concentrate too.

Thanks for sharing!!

That looks good and I have more than enough rhubarb to try it. I like adding the white grape juice concentrate too.

Thanks for sharing!!
I'm somewhat new to this so excuse me for asking... what do you mean by "cold crashed it" for a month?

Thanks for answering!

It means putting it in a refrigerator and cooling it down quickly. This also helps drop unwanted acid in a wine.

BOB

Latest posts

Back