Mustang Grape Acid help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buercky

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im very new to winemaking and was given the opportunity to get some Texas mustang grapes. I started following Kellers recipe and talked to a local winemaking store. So...i didnt get the SG of the grape juice before i started fermentation. Just crushed the grapes and started letting them ferment naturally. which started very well. good bubbling through the must. i then added some lalvin yeast at the suggestion of the store. fermentation went on for about 14 days. racked to carboy 2.5 gal juice 2.5 gal sugar water. (3 gal water/10 lbs sugar). Its been fermenting for 2 weeks and ive been topping with sugar water, an ounce or two every couple days. SG now is 1.02.
I tested the acidity today (not sure if i should have during fermentation) using an LD kit. Here comes my inexperience.... i had to add 12cc's to get it to change to the color specified on the box. Im not sure if that is 12% .12% or what i have to do to reduce the acidity. it does taste acidic.
Two questions....
1: am i on the right track and doing the right fermentation process.
2: what should i do to lower the acidity, do it now, wait, what is my acidity level?

A very big thank you in advance!!

Not sure why you are adding more and more sugar unless you are trying to kill the yeast by over coming its abv tolerance so that you can have a sweeter wine without using sorbate but I assure you mustang wine really isnt the type that tastes good with a very high abv. As far as acidity goes mustang does have a high acidity and the grapes may have also been picked too early making it even more acidic. To lower it now youll need to use calcium carbonate after fermentation is done then cold stabilize to precipitate it all out. Make note though not to exceed the maximum amount useable or you will ruin your wine. You may not get the acidity down where you want it but dhould be able to get it to a more acceptable level. From here on in check acidity pre fermentation and if needed lower it using potassium bicarbonate which is better and if needed you can lower it more post fermentation using the calcium.

Welcome aboard!!

TA would be 1.2 using that method - so that is high.

I adjust acid prior to fermentation using calcium carbonate if needed. If the acid is not too high - I will just let it ride and adjust post fermentation with potassium bicarbonate and cold stabilization...

Latest posts

Back