Summertime Dreaming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCharles

Reaction score
I've been going back through some of my 2011 photos. I thought I'd share this one with you. This vineyard is in Western North Carolina.

I hope you enjoy the view.

May 6to9-2011-424-1.jpg

Great to see when it is so cold out. Can't wait to plant in 2012! What are thye growing in that pic?

I'm sorry I can't say for sure. This shot was taken at Shelton Vineyards. My guess is that these are a red grape variety such as Cab Sauv or Merlot. I was impressed by the thichness of the vines.

Love the view!
I can't wait for spring and planting season. This will be my first year I have the set up to start seeds indoors so I am really excited about that.

i am impressed w how many posts that they used...if i had done what is in this picture then i would not have had trellis damage earlier this yr w Hurricane Irene

These vines, which are Cab Fran, are from a different vineyard. Note the metal system that splits the vine into a Y. This allows for good sun exposure to the leaves.

Aug 21-2011-61-1.jpg

Great pictures, Paul. Thank you for sharing them. Appears that those vines have been around for a few years. Any idea how old these vineyards are? I have never seen the "Y" set up before. Clever.

Your killing me! (looks at snow covered mountains out the window)......

Can't wait till Spring for sure. Its even more exciting since I have 30 vines planted and this will be their 3rd leaf! :p

Great pictures, Paul. Thank you for sharing them. Appears that those vines have been around for a few years. Any idea how old these vineyards are? I have never seen the "Y" set up before. Clever.

Rocky, we've had vineyards such as this here in Western NC for the past 25 years. I'm not sure how long this particlular vineyard, Shadow Springs, has been there. Here is a link to their site, where you can view more detailed photos of their trellis system.
http://www.shadowspringsvineyard.com/

Your killing me! (looks at snow covered mountains out the window)......

Can't wait till Spring for sure. Its even more exciting since I have 30 vines planted and this will be their 3rd leaf! :p

Mike here are a few more photos that I took this past August that will get ya going. I believe the tight cluster are Petit Verdot while the others are likely Cab Sauv.

Aug 21-2011-225-1.jpg

Aug 21-2011-228-1.jpg

Beautiful!!! I am growing Cab Sauv's and one day I hope I get a cluster like that. I am only growing 6 of that type at the moment to see how I fair at growing them here. Testing the waters so to say. I planted them last year and they were 3 years old so we will see. Maybe I will get enough next year to do a F-Pac :D

Can't grow Cab. or Merlot out here but I can't think of to many places where you can walk less then 150 yrds from a Vineyard and: Catch a limit of Walleye, shoot a limit of pheasant, partridge, grouse, ducks and geese. Shoot a trophy whitetail deer and trap some beaver and muskrat all in the same day if you are so inclined.:b

Great photos, Paul.

Rows of grape vines and closeups of grape clusters are truly things of beauty for me.

I am starting to think you can grow grapes and make pretty good BBQ in NC! :br

Mike here are a few more photos that I took this past August that will get ya going. I believe the tight cluster are Petit Verdot while the others are likely Cab Sauv.

I am starting to think you can grow grapes and make pretty good BBQ in NC! :br

It's a cold day here in Carolina. I've been browsing through a few picture folders from year and found a few shots that were taken near Elkin, NC. I thought you all might enjoy the trellis construction and vineyard views.

May 6to9-2011-208-1.jpg

May 6to9-2011-253-1.jpg

May 6to9-2011-246-1.jpg

May 6to9-2011-311-1.jpg

May 6to9-2011-386-1.jpg

Thanks Dan,

I really appreciate your kind comment. With this cold weather, my camera has sat idle for too many days. I find myself wondering around picture folders from days earlier in the season.

Have a good one.

PCharles

Back