Home wine maker- New to Forums

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JandE

Junior
Reaction score
We are home winemakers. Have been since 1989. Typical annual volume is 100 gals per year. We grow 12 verities of grapes, blueberries and can obtain other local produce easily. We purchase grapes from California that we cannot grow in our climate. Last year was a year of BLENDS. No varietals of volume. Wines are EXCELLENT! Best we have ever had. Blends are awesome! We have access to black currants this year that were never an option. Since I don't know what a currant is, blending it is out of my league. Any suggestions?

Hi JandE, welcome to winemakingtalk. I haven't done a currant wine so sorry, won't know what to blend it with. Have you tasted one?

Welcome to the forum!

I do kits and fruit wines but have never developed an interest, myself, in doing any blending. I believe however that a few of the kits I've made were already blends.

Why not do a straight currant wine? I made a black currant wine last year (just bottled it in June) from juice (Vitners Harvest). It is a very good wine.

Why not do a straight currant wine? I made a black currant wine last year (just bottled it in June) from juice (Vitners Harvest). It is a very good wine.

First, welcome to JandE!

Second, can you share that recipe for the Vintner's Harvest Black Currant wine that turned out well?

Typically after the "weigh in" of volume in the blend, we ferment them together from the start. We get the SG, TA and pH of each and then also together once blended so we get an idea of what yeast to use. A lot of extra work, but when you are looking at volume, time spent up front saves a multitude of sins in the end.

Latest posts

Back