WineXpert Eclipse vs Selection California Chardonnays?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming back to this thread, in case any one else runs across it wondering the same thing, the Luna Bianca is amazing! I'll be making another batch this winter. Here's the thread for it with my tweaks (because I'm nearly incapable of following directions as written).

I would love to do a Chardonnay next and I typically make Eclipse kits, but that one has no oak. How do y'all oak that kit. How much and when? I have some Hungarian and French oak available, or should I just go with an oaked kit? Thank y'all for your help!

Last edited:
I would love to do a Chardonnay next and I typically make Eclipse kits, but that one has no oak. How do y'all oak that kit. How much and when? I have some Hungarian and French oak available, or should I just go with an oaked kit? Thank y'all for your help!

I did the Selection Australian Chard a couple years ago and used French Medium Toast Chips. Cubes would have been better. But, it came out beautifully. Very smooth after a year of aging.

Honest, I might just get the California selection and oak to taste.

I did the Selection Australian Chard a couple years ago and used French Medium Toast Chips. Cubes would have been better. But, it came out beautifully. Very smooth after a year of aging.

Honest, I might just get the California selection and oak to taste.
You did a California Chard juice bucket as well, right? Any noticeable differences? I'm thinking about picking up a juice bucket this fall and was wondering how it fit in the range of kit choices.

You did a California Chard juice bucket as well, right? Any noticeable differences? I'm thinking about picking up a juice bucket this fall and was wondering how it fit in the range of kit choices.

I did and recently bottled at about 9 months. It is light and fruity, even with 60gr of French medium toast chips. I think if I had it to do again, I'd think about adding some crushed peaches and/or mango to the primary, and 60gr of cubes in the finish next time.

I've only tasted it once since bottling. So, it's too soon to judge. But the taster we had - Crisp and clean, easy to drink. But no real complexity to it.

Latest posts

Back