normally would not consider an oak barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
but I can get some close to me and I will have a new winery. I would like your opinion. Supposedly, I can get food grade barrels that have been used locally. These are french barrels. I don't know how many times they have been used.

I am concerned about using oak barrels in that it may impart too much oak. I guess , I need to google how to use oak barrels for wine but thinking you guys can give me some concise info.

How long should I leave it in the barrel? It would be a cab/, maybe chiraz lend or something like that.

How much should I pay for a used barrel that is still food grade.

Thanks , I have been out of the winemaking activity for a couple of years as life has really gotten in the way.

First question is what wine and for how long. And, how have they been kept? They will be neutral after 3-4 years. Still provide oxidation benefits but little oak flavors. I listened to a podcast by a Napa cab maker today where he said 50% oak influence the second year, 15% the third.

How long is a function of size and age. Me I rack based on taste. In a new barrel you can go a couple years with a big wine or more. Time increases with barrel age to get the same phenolics. You can also add staves, spirals or other oak products to increase oakiness in a more neutral barrel.

Good French oak, from a quality winery near me are 150-180 bucks depending on age. All ozone and guaranteed to be leak free.

Latest posts

Back