What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "what's in your glass" thread would probably be your best shot at learning about new wines that people are drinking right now. This will probably be a good thread for those of us who purchase wines to "lay down" for a decent period of time before they are drunk. I suspect there is not too many of us on this board that do this. I will be more than happy to start posting what's coming into my Cellar here. In fact here is a shot from last week of one of my latest "special deliveries". My 2014 allocation from Horsepower Vineyards.

IMG_2055.jpg

I should probably look into this. I recently discovered 2-3 wines, where I thought I had a few in the basement, but couldn't locate them. :ft

The downside is while this will certainly tell you "whats in your cellar" unless you assign a wine a position in a bin or rack (which you actually can) It won't help you find that bottle! :)

I should probably look into this. I recently discovered 2-3 wines, where I thought I had a few in the basement, but couldn't locate them. :ft

The downside is while this will certainly tell you "whats in your cellar" unless you assign a wine a position in a bin or rack (which you actually can) It won't help you find that bottle! :)

I think my issue is that I didn't realize I was drinking the last bottle when did.

I just thought it would be cool to have a point system on kits/buckets vintage over vintage so you were buying with a little more confidence.

Sounds like John is already sold, but another thing that I like about this is you can put notes in when you drink a bottle just for yourself. It doesn't have to be tasting notes. I added quotes from people's first reaction to the bottle, or what foods I was eating or what the event was where we tasted it. For big data nerd's this is the ultimate.

ibglowin - I didn't see homebrew in your cellar. I'll go look again.

Chris

Sounds like John is already sold, but another thing that I like about this is you can put notes in when you drink a bottle just for yourself. It doesn't have to be tasting notes. I added quotes from people's first reaction to the bottle, or what foods I was eating or what the event was where we tasted it. For big data nerd's this is the ultimate.

Chris

I went and signed up on cellar tracker, put a few bottles in just to play with, found @ibglowin and @dcbrown73 on there. I may play over there some, but I still think there are lots of folks here who would like to see and hear about stuff being purchased by our fellow members here, on this site.

Mike posted a couple of wines above, there's no reason why anyone who wants to shouldn't do the same....... I'll put a few of my recently acquired Napa beauties up here a little later on today.........

Last edited:
I just thought it would be cool to have a point system on kits/buckets vintage over vintage so you were buying with a little more confidence.

I've always wanted something like this set up in the Kit section. It would be great to be able to read reviews/scores on kits by users before buying one. I will say, responses are generally good around here when you ask, but having an archive of sorts could prove to be extremely useful.

We had a few objectives when we went to Napa, first being to visit wineries that have been producing great wines and get to taste them, we did well. Second on the list, and maybe a bit vain, was to acquire a 100 point wine. We have none in the cellar, nor have we ever tasted one, and you generally don't get to do that in tastings. We came away from Hall Winery's Ultimate Cab experience a bit on the tipsy side, and three each of these lovely wines showed up a week later.

From the left is the 100 point 2013 Hall Rainin Vineyard, 95+ Hall "The Bishop", and 2013 Hall Sacrashe Vineyard. All laid down to rest for several years before any tastings.

IMG_0799.jpg

That order got split up amongst three wino's. Its been a few months since I have opened one, but its right in the sweet spot. Drew puts on a pretty amazing spread each Summer for list members. At the winery in WW. It free to get in for members and they have several food trucks from some of the best places in WWV. The Doubleback flows pretty darn free. Drew is a very down to earth and approachable kind of guy.

Good cellar conditions are a must for these wines to age well. No storage in the kitchen...... LOL

That looks like a really nice wine, and you're right in the heart of its maturity range, how's it drinking?

For big data nerd's this is the ultimate.

Not sure I'd classify myself quite as a big data nerd, but I can certainly appreciate it. I've built a mini-database in Excel with datapoints on all my wines. When I'm feeling crazy, I make up little charts and pivot tables to try and find trends in my winemaking/consumption. :>

Last edited:
It's under "San Acacia". I even uploaded my label. I decided not to keep track on my home brew and just use CT for commercial stuff . Just didn't really want to have to remember to remove a bottle of home brew every time I opened it.

Commercial side on the other hand, very important to keep track of for several reasons, including what's getting possibly past its drinking window, a possible loss due to fire or even a home invasion (remote possibility where I live but you never know)

I have beefed up security with cypher locks and video camera's in the house, in the cellar, outside the house..... ::

I went and signed up on cellar tracker, put a few bottles in just to play with, found @ibglowin and @dcbrown73 on there. I may play over there some, but I still think there are lots of folks here who would like to see and hear about stuff being purchased by our fellow members here, on this site.

Mike posted a couple of wines above, there's no reason why anyone who wants to shouldn't do the same....... I'll put a few of my recently acquired Napa beauties up here a little later on today.........

In the $25 or less range.

* Elouan Pinot Noir
* Joel Gott Zinfandel and Cabernet are great wines for the price
* Schild Estate Shiraz is an incredible wine for sub $25.
* L'Ecole No. 41 Chenin Blanc
* Wynns Coonawarra Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
* Orin Swift Department 66 Grenache
* Columbia Crest Unoaked Chardonnay Reserve Estate
* McManis Viognier (for a $11 wine, this is quite good)
* Bodegas Breca Old Vine Garnacha
* Bodegas Juan Gil Monastrell
* Decoy Sauvignon Blanc
* Misha Pinot Gris. (Not a huge Pinot Gris drinker, but this one is very good)
* Penfold's Bin 8 Shiraz, Cab blend
* Mer Soleil Chardonnay Reserve (actually, this one is closer to $28)
* Doran Vineyards Chenin Blanc (Love a great Chenin Blanc)
* Selbach-Oster Riesling Feinherb (Almost Sauvignon Blanc like with Riesling character)
* Ravines Dry Riesling
* 2006 Tandem Macula
* A.J. Adam Riesling Spatlese (fantastic with Jambalaya)
* Fonseca Finest Reserve Bin #27 (fantastic Port wine for $15!)

Those are some of the wines I've really liked over about the last year. There are several others, but I think I've added enough for now. :h

Last edited:
@dcbrown73 I recognize quite a few of those and have some as well. Wifey and I are quite fond of the Bodegas Brecca OVG, really nice wine. I'm a hawk for Parker wines in the 90's and under $20. If you get the inkling, try the 2014 Bodegas Volver Single Vineyard, WA 92, and you can still get it for under $13 per bottle, I've got a couple of cases to tap into as soon as we finish up the last '12 and a couple of '13's, its been a great every night wine for us.

@dcbrown73 I recognize quite a few of those and have some as well. Wifey and I are quite fond of the Bodegas Brecca OVG, really nice wine. I'm a hawk for Parker wines in the 90's and under $20. If you get the inkling, try the 2014 Bodegas Volver Single Vineyard, WA 92, and you can still get it for under $13 per bottle, I've got a couple of cases to tap into as soon as we finish up the last '12 and a couple of '13's, its been a great every night wine for us.

Thanks, I will take a look and see where I can get some! Thanks for the heads up. I hope everyone shares some of their great finds. I always love finding new wines.

Ever had 2013 Levendi Cab Sweetwater Ranch? It is a fantastic pop and pour. Not under $25, more like 40 or 45 but it is just so smooth. Also in the $40 range if you want terroir I LOVE 2012 Domaine Bois de Boursan Châteauneuf-du-Pape, and that one should get better for a few more years.

For under $25 I like Alexander Valley cab 2014

Now a weird one -2011 Freelance Wines Coup de Grace - it is amazing for about the first 10 minutes then drops off a cliff

levendi.JPG

You wonder how can RP and WS be so far apart on a wine? :d

Yup, saw that. They're normally a LOT closer. My taste has always tracked a lot closer to Parkers than anyone else. I'll let you know how it is in a few years.....

Edit: WA rated it at the end of 14 and 15, WS at the end of 16. Maybe it turned to crap, who knows. Bad bottle? No clue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back