Wine not taking oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The time for using Cu++ is at the end of fermentation after the first rack. Ferment. Rack + 30ppm SO2. 2 weeks, rack again add Cu++ (copper sulfate at 0.2ppm white or up to 0.4ppm red). rack again in 2 weeks no SO2 then. rack again in 3-4 weeks, add SO2 again.

Months later is not the time to add copper sulfate. By then the Hydrogen Suflide has become bound and copper will do little to no good.

We use Stavin oak bean all the time with our used barrels and in tanks. HOWEVER, we also micro oxygenate the wine at the time of oak in tanks. We use 2 to 4 g/l oak beans. at 2 g/l that figures out to 0.336 oz. of oak beans for every 1 gallon.

AK that was for 5 gallons of wine thanks.

I've found all this "off flavor" fades with aging, so if anything-it was an education. From now on all my wines I make that are "all juice" are gonna be made with plenty of DAP and agitation during primary. From looking over all my notes the only wines I have trouble with are the wines that are just buckets of juice. Those wines are basically acid balanced, then yeast pitched and fermented dry. My wines I make from grapes or juice/grapes get alot more agitation during primary/early secondary-and thus more O2 exposure.
Thanks alot AK, seems like the way you learn is by making mistakes!

Latest posts

Back