WineXpert Selection Luna Bianca

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I'll ever fully understand the vehement hatred that some folks have to potassium sorbate. I don't add it to my wines that ferment dry and I don't backsweeten, but only because I figure, if it doesn't start back up again in the 6-12 months of bulk aging, odds are really quite low it will ever start up again. But If I backsweeten, I certainly add it (along with k-mta), at the proper dosage for the alcohol content of the wine and the ph and don't think a second longer about it.

I'm just at the point that I only put what's absolutely necessary in my wine. Kmeta, sure. Oak and tannin, yes. But, chitosan usually goes on a shelf (just in case I need it) and sorbate goes in the trash. Like you, I don't use it unless there's residual sugar in the wine.

il_570xN.319590255.jpg

8deceecb29c8265e855c7214f0900e92.jpg

I know this thread is likely dead but those of you who made the Luna, are you noticing an increase in sweetness after aging? I'm deciding whether to add 1/2 or 3/4 of the f pack in primary.

I know this thread is likely dead but those of you who made the Luna, are you noticing an increase in sweetness after aging? I'm deciding whether to add 1/2 or 3/4 of the f pack in primary.
Nope. This thread is still alive.

Many of us (me included) drop half the fpac in the primary and the other half in the finish. I check my SG after adding the second half of fpac and seldom get a reading higher than 1.000. At that level, and given how quickly this wine is consumed, I find it difficult to justify adding sorbate to the wine.

I was able to order mine off of Amazon. It's coming Monday so I haven't checked if it is expired just yet.

It came and not expired! But I only have 85 total grams of oak? 45 grams of American Light Toast + 2 x 20 grams of sawdust

Hmm I guess I won't be too concerned then. Thanks for your input! I have some american oak medium toast spirals so I guess I could add one in secondary if I think it needs it.

I was worried about the sweetness so I added a little over 1/2 the f-pack. Also switched to D-47 yeast. SG sitting around 1.104 :)

I made Luna in 2018 -- if I do another (which may not be possible) I'd put half the F-pack in the initial fermentation. It's just a bit too sweet to enjoy with dinner, although it's a good after-dinner sipper. I'd also add additional oak.

It came and not expired! But I only have 85 total grams of oak? 45 grams of American Light Toast + 2 x 20 grams of sawdust

this is not a super oaky chard. Drop the sawdust and chips in the primary for the sacrificial tannin, along with half your fpac. Ferment to zero, then add the other half.

I added oak to the secondary and it was great. One bottle remai...so sad 😢

Perhaps worth feeding and stopping the fermentation of a California Chardonnay? Could replicate the sweetness.

Playing around with a yeast that can bring out the oak profile fully without losing the fruit characteristics would help too! Too bad no Semillon to balance it out.

Latest posts

Back