100L variable lid tank question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebiedoo

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a couple Variable lit tanks to age my wine in and started thinking. with the variable lid you don't have any oxygen or head space in the tank yet it seems to mature. what is the difference then, between a tank like this and using corny kegs?

Here are a few advantages that come to mind. I am sure that others will come up with more...

- you can fit much more in a single tank than a corny.

- You need to use a lot more cornys and each one will need to be cleaned when racking (as opposed to just 1 tank).

- a corny is a perfect, air tight and pressure tight seal. with a tank you can affix an airlock thus allowing any residual gasses to escape. Also, I believe that the lid gaskets allow just a minute amount of air to get through for a modest amount of micro-oxidation (albeit only a tiny amount).

- on a superficial level, tanks just look much cooler!

So, wine will definitely mature in a tank....now will it mature at all in a corny keg? I'm asking because i've got a Kegerator going for my white, but I'm still bottling all my reds because I want them to benefit the aging process. I'm only set up to bulk age for a year.

Thanks

All wines mature better in bulk especially the first year. Doesn't matter if it is a VC tank, a Corny Keg, a Demijohn or a Carboy. Micro oxygenation only happens in a Barrel. It is negligible in either a tank or a corny keg.

All wines mature better in bulk especially the first year. Doesn't matter if it is a VC tank, a Corny Keg, a Demijohn or a Carboy. Micro oxygenation only happens in a Barrel. It is negligible in either a tank or a corny keg.

Thanks, I believe that answered my (burning) question. So I would see little difference between Bottle aging and Corny Keg. Thanks

Here are a few advantages that come to mind. I am sure that others will come up with more...

- you can fit much more in a single tank than a corny.

- You need to use a lot more cornys and each one will need to be cleaned when racking (as opposed to just 1 tank).

- a corny is a perfect, air tight and pressure tight seal. with a tank you can affix an airlock thus allowing any residual gasses to escape. Also, I believe that the lid gaskets allow just a minute amount of air to get through for a modest amount of micro-oxidation (albeit only a tiny amount).

- on a superficial level, tanks just look much cooler!

I also should have mentioned, I'm Looking for at aging in Corny keg verses Bottles aging. That's the real issue as I would LOVE to switch to kegging instead of bottling.

IMHO there is some advantage of bulk aging before you bottle. You get some oxygen exchange as it is racked and finally bottled. Good for reds, debatable for whites. So, I'd age in the largest volume you can, then bottle.

Back