Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will bottle the French Rose’ kit today, been through 3 rankings and a taste test. The Grapefruit and a touch of Lemon zest came through just fine. Left it in the fermenters bit longer than instructions said to, but I have found that an extra racking or two results in a much clearer wine.

So far it is a really good Rose’, as We get more experience with tweaking these kits, they get better and more interesting. We do share with friends and they are getting interested in this. Great hobby and if you like to get off the beaten track, no better way to have fun.

That's exactly what this thread is all about, having fun and thinking outside the box..win lose or draw it's your creative and touch that makes the difference and it's yours.

How might you go about tweaking a "middle of the road" kit? Like a $100 kit.

I have a mid level malbec that came with dried skins. I was thinking of adding a cup of currants and oak, like I would with a cheap malbec, but probably not reducing the volume to 5 gallons.
Maybe try extended maceration?

Adding a cup of dark currants yes oak yes , don't reduce but Make sure your SG doesn't exceed 14%.other than that no extended maceration not worth the effort or time just give it time In a bottle. Good plan .

my Rose' came out fine it just took time to clear with the added fruit, it was well worth the effort

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 47
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 53
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 54
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 48
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 40
Phase #2 cab rose'...........................are you with me so far

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
final ...............................

Attachments

• 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 44
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 43
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 43
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 43
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 46
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 38
Joe, sure looks like you are keeping busy. Will be taking a gallon of Rose’ out of the primary fermenter today to start some more sparkling Rose’. Will reduce the Sugar a bit on this batch.

I made my first red kit, a cheap cab sauv and added 1qt raspberry and BlackBerry mix that I sauteed and added to the primary, took 2 weeks to bring down the sg in my cool basement, now it's in secondary for over a week with a French oak spiral but not clearing, I know it's only 1 week but by now usually the top looks clear as it settles down, the wine looks murky and a flashlight doesnt penetrate to see its consistency. Will this just take time? Or did I do something wrong, I otherwise followed the kit instructions and added the other ingredients. I know you cant rush things but with kits they usually settle out faster. I do plan on aging this for 9 months before bottling, also if I'm bulk aging can I still use the airlocks?

You likely have pectin haze from the fresh fruit. It may clear out on its own over time, but you could always try hitting it with some pectin enzyme. Aging on airlocks is fine, just make sure they don’t dry up.

Just give it time with adding the fruit it takes time ,cover the carboy and walk away, revisit in 2 weeks ,it's a red give it time. Pectin haze takes time to clear.di you have superkleer.

Just give it time with adding the fruit it takes time ,cover the carboy and walk away, revisit in 2 weeks ,it's a red give it time. Pectin haze takes time to clear.di you have superkleer.
I have sparkloid, is that the same?

You likely have pectin haze from the fresh fruit. It may clear out on its own over time, but you could always try hitting it with some pectin enzyme. Aging on airlocks is fine, just make sure they don’t dry up.
I have pectic enzyme, is there a time limit or can I wait to see if it clears in time and if not then try the PE

I looked back on my notes, I made it to 5gal, added tannin too. It's too far below the top from the first rack so I need to top it up with a bottle of cab sauv to bulk age it, would you add sulphate at any point during aging or just before bottling?

Be patient, let it sit ,use pectin enzyme like johnd stated try sparkloid , superkleer or just time.

It may never come out super clear don't worry about it, it's a red care more about the taste.

Back