Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fontana wine kits

running this one for wineforfun,,follow the flow...............................
THIS IS ONE OF MANY INEXPENSIVE WINE KITS WE HAVE DONE WITH GREAT SUCCESS ONE OF THE KEY POINTS WE LEARNED EARLY ON WAS NOT TO MAKE IT AS A 6 GALLON KIT BUT AS A 5 GALLON KIT WE FOUND AT A SIX GALLON VOLUMN IT WAS TO THIN AND TASTE LESS, NOT MUCH TO SPEAK OF ACTUALLY A WASTE OF MONEY .SO BY REDUCING THE VOLUNM WE INCREASE THE FLAVOR PROFILE (GAINED TASTE) ADDED BETTER BALANCE BETWEEN THE OAK AND THE ALCOHOL LEVEL.
FOLLOW THE TWEAKS AND TAKE YOUR TIME AND YOU TO WILL SEE THAT YOU CAN MAKE A DECENT WINE AT A VERY REASONABLE COST.I HAVE MADE A GEAT DEAL OF KITS AND NO MATTER WHAT THE STARTING PRICE RANGE A WINEMAKER ALWAYS TWEAKS WEATHER YOU’RE A PRO, OR A CELLAR DWELLAR YOU TWEAK BAR NONE.FOLLOW THE FLOW AND AS ALWAYS THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.

8 HOURS LATER FERMENTATION UNDERWAY GREAT AROMA AND CAP THE BLEND OF OAK, CURRENTS TANNINS AND CAPITOLIZATION WILL MAKE THIS CHEAP KIT ALL IT CAN BE.NOW WE WAIT.
...:HB

1.jpg

2A.jpg

3.jpg

13.jpg

17.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

IMG_20151224_102006238.jpg

Last edited:
@joeswine How much simple syrup did you add or did you just add to get the desired SG?

Also, can you add raisins instead of currants if currants can't be found?

in the mix wineforfun

1 quart that's enough your increasing the wines abv. just by decreasing the volume.

13.jpg

@joeswine How about the currants and raisins? Are they interchangeable?

No not really, they have a different profile of their own. EX: raisins, for big. Reds, Zantes currents good for fruited wines like shàraz, but can also be used in MEDIUM red's like melbec not for any white wine just like oak they all have a part to play in the mix.

Last edited:
How long do you let your cheap kits sit before you bottle them. I started a cheapie today flowing your flow joe. Thanks for making this hobby/obsession even more fun!!

Word of warning if you try the Fontana amarone. It likes it hot during fermentation. I thought based on SG reading the fermentation was over. I needed to degas some other carboys and turned the space heater up in the room. The amarone took back off and steady bubbling. This was after over a week of non activity in the amarone carboy. Make sure its completely fermented or you might get some bottle bombs. I do not use sorbate, so I am very careful and bulk age.

Bauer, once All the work is complete and your sure- bottle age that way ,no problem THIS WAY YOU CAN SAMPLE AS YOU GO ALONG, what kit did you get and what tweak did you add?

Last edited:
Degassing amarone

Usually more ABV,which means more PATIENCES which means MORE time in the fermenter be patient use your hydrometer .did you tweak the AMARONE?

Last edited:
Cheap kits thruhike00

did you add any oak and or tannins,what was you sg at the start?how is it so far.

Yes I did add a small amount of tannin in the primary. Came with lots of oak so did not add any to primary. 1.1 beginning and down to .995 now. I have no idea where this will finish.

Adding grapefruit zest to. This style of white brings out a brightness to the finish, us a half of grapefruit zest per 6 gallons.a couple of weeks before bottling ànd finding, simple and easy.

Joe,

I am starting the PG with grapefruit zest in the primary this evening. I have been disappointed in this kit in the past, but am doing a 5gal batch instead of 6. Will let you know how it turns out in 3mos or so.

Joe, I am starting my Fontana Shiraz next week too. Please tell me what you plan to do when you figure it out.

in the mix

Thinking about marchino cherries in the primary putting together the two together sounds tasty. Cherry shàraz what do you. Think,or Zantes currents one or the other.

Joe have you opened the Shiraz box yet? Mine came with a French oak pak, I was shocked. I already planned on adding some so it has quite a bit in there now. Pitched ec1118 this afternoon.

Fontana 4 week kits

this is what was in my kit. About 1 cup that's not to much ,look up the shiraz's taste profile that's important in understanding the total make up of the wines body and structure.

IMG_20160114_083319011_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back