I need wine bottles!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeginnerMark

Reaction score
Where's a good place I can get wine bottles 750ml and I need 30 of them for red wine! Any suggestions? Also screw cap or cork? Thanks guys!

Any place that serves a lot of wine is a good place to ask for used bottles.

Cork. Screw caps are only good if you get bottles designed for home use. Commercial bottles have a different thread and require special equipment for a good seal.

@rickmke how does one go about asking a bar or restaurant for wine bottles? Also do I need to be 21 for this?

Check wineries. You may get free used bottles and/or really cheap new bottles, if they have a surplus. I helped a local winery clear out some needed production space a few years ago and got brand new bottles for $4 a case.

Banquet halls is a nice place to get mostly all the same type of bottles-

I just asked the bars or wineries and they were happy to give them away. I sometime asked for certain size and colors - but then I always gave them something in return

Banquet halls is a nice place to get mostly all the same type of bottles-

I just asked the bars or wineries and they were happy to give them away. I sometime asked for certain size and colors - but then I always gave them something in return

Try your local Craig's List. I see them there a lot.

@rickmke how does one go about asking a bar or restaurant for wine bottles? Also do I need to be 21 for this?

No, but you DO need to be 21 to make wine. If you are not, you are publically announcing a felony and you will be banned from this site.

Maybe that's the case in the U.S. But I'm not from the U.S. Also I'm just researching for a future school project where we make wine. I never made wine before.
But thanks for your concern!

No, but you DO need to be 21 to make wine. If you are not, you are publically announcing a felony and you will be banned from this site.

DoctorCAD, I am not trying to nitpick this but are you sure this is true? I know that in Ohio the law states that one can make up to 200 gallons per year if there are two adults in the household and up to 100 gallons per year if there is one adult in the household. I see no restriction on who makes the wine.

I think this law is different in every region. For example in Europe most people drink at 14 lol. In Canada the drinking age is 18. In Mexico its 18. So doctorCAD there can be many people from different places around the world who don't follow U.S law on this forum because they're simply in another country.

Okay, I have sample of one state (not a very rigorous investigation, I admit) but here in Ohio there is no state restriction on the age of the producer but *Ohio follows Federal Law which states that one must be 18 to produce alcoholic beverages. Therefore, in Ohio, the producer must be at least 18 although, again under Ohio law, he or she must be 21 to consume it. That would allow for a good three year aging.

* Per the legal department of the State Liquor Control Agency.

Fun fact! Did you know that each state has the choice to change the drinking age?! But if any state lowers the drinking age to under 21 the federal government cuts off funding for highways! Lol it's like blackmail!

Fun fact! Did you know that each state has the choice to change the drinking age?! But if any state lowers the drinking age to under 21 the federal government cuts off funding for highways! Lol it's like blackmail!

I knew that. It is all about how dependent the states are with "big brother".

A local wine bar has given me more bottles than I could ever use and as a side note i found this little tidbit online -

President Ronald Reagan is the reason why the drinking age is 21 everywhere these days. In the 1980s, nearly half of states still allowed residents to buy alcohol at age 18. In 1984, Reagan signed a bill demanding that all states raise their drinking age to 21. If states didn’t comply by 1987, they would lose 10 percent of their federal highway construction dollars.

I knew that. It is all about how dependent the states are with "big brother".

I think it is against the law for a restaurant to give used bottles away in Alabama. You see Norm, it's like this here in Alabama , we really need our politicians to lead us from the gates of hell!

Latest posts

Back