What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mary's little lamb for lunch (said that to my daughter and I think she was about to cry (bad Dad, bad Dad)). Marinated overnight with EVOO, garlic, rosemary and some cracked black pepper. Grilled over charcoal with just a hint of mesquite wood. Served with a much smaller salad today!

View attachment 61370
[/QUOTE

More Bleu Cheese, eh???

As I mentioned earlier, I took a chuck roast out of the freezer on Sunday and had intended to do a Bolognese style sauce with it today. Being Taco Tuesday and all, I didn't think that would be appropriate. So I set out in search of Barbacoa recipes. I found this one and decided to run with it (Barbacoa Supreme Recipe). I couldn't bear the thought of browning that poor roast on the stovetop, so I decided to 'Weberize' the recipe. Mixed up a quick rub of kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and oregano and gave it a good rubdown. I then started one basket of lump in the Performer and added a chunk of pecan wood. I then added the chuck on the indirect side. Windy day here, but I was able to keep things around 275 degrees for about an hour with just enough fuel left for a gentle sear at the end. Here's how things have gone so far.

Rubbed down and ready for some smoke:

1589922340415.jpeg

At the turn - things moving along well so far.

1589922358708.jpeg

Almost done! Time for a little sear.

1589922376936.jpeg

And we're finished with step 1.

1589922399989.jpeg

While the chuck was on the grill, I made up the sauce. After a short rest, I cubed it up, and put it in the enameled DO along with it's liquid companions. Here it is all ready to go to step 2.

1589922417921.jpeg

To be continued...

If no brisket to be found grab a couple of large chuck roast. They are almost as good and much easier to cook as there is no point/flat issue to worry about. I have done chuck roast a couple times now and was very happy with the outcome and especially the shorter cook time. Cook low and slow and wrap at 165 until 200 take off and rest. They will be melt in your mouth tender.

1589926155880.jpeg

I won’t give up and will be there first thing AM because I’d like a brisket for this Memorial Day weekend

If no brisket to be found grab a couple of large chuck roast. They are almost as good and much easier to cook as there is no point/flat issue to worry about. I have done chuck roast a couple times now and was very happy with the outcome and especially the shorter cook time. Cook low and slow and wrap at 165 until 200 take off and rest. They will be melt in your mouth tender.

View attachment 61386

That looks good, need to give that a try, although I’m not sure I’ve seen those at Costco land 🤔🤔

I'm making one more trip in the morning and if no brisket I'm getting a chuck roast for sure.
Eye round roasts turn out pretty good on the Weber too. Just put in a foil pan, like a lasagna sized pan with holes poked through using a knife for the juices to drain off. Do to desired doneness and wrap for 10 minutes, slice and gorge.

Latest posts

Back