Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K5MOW

Reaction score
Here is a pic of a gallon batch of spice mead I just made.

Roger

image-1005006037.jpg

Eriewineguy said:
Car to share the recipe?

Here it is

1 Gallon Batch

3 1/2 lbs Clover Honey
1 large Orange rind and all
About 40 Raisins cut up
1 stick Cinnamon
2 whole Clove
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Fleishmanns bread yeast
Water to one gallon

Eriewineguy said:
Thank you. How long before you drink it?

You can drink it in about 4 months but it would be best to wait till 6 months.

Roger

Well I don't see much difference between the posted recipe and joes original info there.......

He says that its drinkable once cleared. Personally I find it easiest to wait until all the fruit has dropped because the yeast can be brought back into suspension just by moving the jug......bread yeast isn't bad but it doesn't flocculate/settle and compact down well.

Hence you have to be gentle/careful when racking and be prepared to rack it to smaller containers to settle out any yeast that comes through on first rack.

You don't want any yeast to end up in the bottles......

Oh and I use 6 months as a minimum.

fatbloke said:
Well I don't see much difference between the posted recipe and joes original info there.......

He says that its drinkable once cleared. Personally I find it easiest to wait until all the fruit has dropped because the yeast can be brought back into suspension just by moving the jug......bread yeast isn't bad but it doesn't flocculate/settle and compact down well.

Hence you have to be gentle/careful when racking and be prepared to rack it to smaller containers to settle out any yeast that comes through on first rack.

You don't want any yeast to end up in the bottles......

Oh and I use 6 months as a minimum.

Yes you are right. This is basically Joes. I like to wait 6 months also. I find it takes about 3 months
To clear so I say one month after that as minimum. This is a very good mead every time.

Roger

I find that when I have made the JAOM recipe that is best to make 3 gallons. Every place I have brought some or put it on the table it has disappeared as if it were going out of style!

VineSwinger said:
I find that when I have made the JAOM recipe that is best to make 3 gallons. Every place I have brought some or put it on the table it has disappeared as if it were going out of style!

Yes you are so right.

Roger

Now see it is possible to vary it a small amount and still get a decent result.......

When I made my first one, I followed the instructions as closely as possible, or so I thought......

Fleischmanns yeast is out of the question as its a US brand not available here. So I've used a couple of UK brands as well as some supermarket own brand stuff. All have worked well.

Equally, my first batch was a gallon......an Imperial gallon, not a US gallon. So that's 4.55 litres not 3.78 litres and about 20% more. That also came out fine too.

I bought a magnetic wine stirrer off ebay not so long back. Its just a cheap thing that's no longer made. Its not much use but I've been looking for a proper laboratory stirring plate as I suspect it may help produce finished batches a bit quicker. While Joe mentions no stirring or other agitation, would bread yeast do a better job if stirred/agitated ? I don't know but I'm happy to experiment once I've got a usable stirrer.

Hey ho! A life of mead making........

Latest posts

Back