Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abiqui Lake, NM

74214361_2619485551408178_6523174953112567808_n.jpg

Thats what I asked as well. They look like Lady Bugs to me.

Kinda late but down here we have an invasion of Asian Lady Beetles that swarm just like that and will get into your house through every crevice. Nothing to do, you cannot poison them out. They look very similar to ladybugs.

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef416

NOTE: "Asian lady beetles are also becoming a concern of the wine industry. Due to their noxious odor, even small numbers of beetles inadvertently processed along with grapes can taint the flavor of wine."

Doesn't look like much, but it is the beginning of a winter quest. Around these parts a supermarket tomato in January is about as appetizing as a red piece of cardboard. I've had grow lights and have grown things all my life indoors (my parents bought me my first grow light when I was 8 for my birthday, ended up making the woman who headed the local African Violet society envious with the plants I ended up growing). My aim is to get a tomato big enough to slice up with some freshly cooked bacon, some good lettuce, mayo, homemade bread and have me a BLT sandwich in the depths of winter.

My Mom brought me back some Florida grown tomatoes last March which got me thinking (I know, I shouldn't think so much). Must be able to get a good tasting tomato at home and not rely on her getting me some every Spring (she is 85+ yrs old). Bought me some 275 watt LEDs and burnt the heck out of my first few plants. Also had issues with humidity indoors, especially over the summer. Had my first success with Glacier tomatoes. Cold tolerant as well as humidity tolerant. Small but really tasty. Cut the first few up for a salad the other day, then shared one today with a coworker and she said it was the best dang tomato she thinks she's ever had. I think the coco coir and organic nutrients are the key to that. Plus I don't have to worry about the mockingbirds pecking a hole in each of my ripe tomatoes right before I pick them. Just ordered some greenhouse/hoop house type larger maters from Johnny's seeds. Hoping to show a picture of a beautiful sandwich in January, with a snowy background out the window. Wish me luck!

PS. the Paris Island romaine and beets I grew for my wife have been very tasty. I'm going to try and plant a small crop of the lettuce every few weeks, since it has been so good in salads.

10-29-19_mater.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool Craig! Are you in the basement or in a naturally lighted room? How do you get the seeds to sprout this time of year? Heated mat? I actually have a huge Dahlia that was in a pot that didn't bloom until just last week or two. Been moving it in and out and using one of the new LED grow lights that don't put out any heat or use much AC. Seems to be working well. Hard to tell from this photo but this Dahlia is over 9" in diameter.

Might have to experiment with some other herbs this Winter now that I have the time to play with them. :)

IMG_5040.JPG

Came to DR, will be going to REO Speedwagon concert in Altos de Chavon this Saturday .

View attachment 57301
I think I have seen REO for our five times, always seem to come to St Louis area with someone else, Chicago, Styx, and Doobie Brothers are three I recall without much thought. They always put on a good show. My wife always reminds her son that back many years ago, he borrowed her REO cd and she never got it back. It's kind of a joke nowadays.

I think I have seen REO for our five times, always seem to come to St Louis area with someone else, Chicago, Styx, and Doobie Brothers are three I recall without much thought. They always put on a good show. My wife always reminds her son that back many years ago, he borrowed her REO cd and she never got it back. It's kind of a joke nowadays.

Good you mention, Asia is also going to perform on this show .

Latest posts

Back