Not but kinda sorta a mead...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddportleft

Reaction score
Ok, I have some raspberry mead just waiting to be racked and I got to thinking... Has any of you or someone you know ever made a mead from pure maple syrup instead of honey. Of course, it's not a true mead. If you have tell me about it because I am thinking about trying to do a gallon. Just as an experiment...

Many people have successfully done what you are talking about. Fact I believe it is called an aglycerin.. maybe... possibly... who knows if that is the name

Many people have successfully done what you are talking about. Fact I believe it is called an aglycerin.. maybe... possibly... who knows if that is the name
Not far off Seth, it's "Acerglyn". Plus as I understand it (not made one as the maple syrup would be too cost prohibitive), it's made with a mix of honey and maple syrup.

I also understood, that if one is made and left to go dry, it's no so good as we have a cultural memory that anything with maple syrup is supposed to be very sweet, so I'd guess that it should be at least medium, if not sweet - though making a batch like this too sweet would just make it like drinking something like vodka and maple syrup.....

Runningwolf - I have never tasted maple syrup wine but I think your post is right on the money.. Maple syrup is tree sap that has been boiled down so that the percentage of sugars in the sap increases in relation to the volume of water remaining? I think it can take about 86 gallons of sap to produce 1 gallon of syrup. Maple syrup is concentrated tree sap...so I would be surprised that it tasted something other than tree sap...

I don't know how this compares to other's experience, but I made a 1 gallon batch of this a few years ago and fermented it dry. It sucked, so I put it in the back of the pantry and forgot about it. Now, about 4 years later, it has a warm, almost buttery flavor and tastes kind of like a cross between brandy and whiskey. The exact flavor is hard to describe, but nothing else tastes quite like it. It is excellent now, but after the first year in the bottle I almost dumped it down the drain.

Latest posts

Back