Catawba Marshmallow Fluff

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was working with the wine today. I got a lot of bottling done. I came to the Catawba and some experimenting made me decide I needed to sweeten it to a dessert wine to balance the sugars to 1.025. I racked out a gallon and put in the sugar syrup I had made ahead, but it wasn't quite enough. I pured what wine from the gallon extra back in to top up. It left me with about 5 cups of catawba wine. Ah I thought- just enough to make a sugar syrup with the wine and sugar. I measured it out and it was 5 cups. I had it on the stove heating and dumped in the sugar and gave it a stir. It was dissoving and all of a sudden got a white frothy top on it. I stirred it some more. I stated out at about 3 inches down from the top. As I kept stirring, the foam kept growing, resembling marshmallow fluff, until it was ready to overflow. I had to quickly take it off the heat. I now have a six quart pot full of Catawba Wine Fluff!
smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif

Has anybody ever had this happen to them?

I guess I will have to restart the syrup and just use water!

No, but it might be really good spread on some Wonder Bread with some peanut butter! =)

I guess it had supersaturated or something. I let it cool some, added one cup of water and reheated. Most of the foam dissapeared and I was able to salvage it.

Believe me I had considered the peanut butter route!

20090928_164455_100_1562_Small.jpg

Thats a new one on me...though wife, who loves marshmallows, did bring home a bag that appear to be GMO
smiley36.gif
There as big as the cup...I guess you just splash hot chocolate over it!
smiley5.gif

Back