Help identifying grape?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect that it will be very difficult to accurately identify a grape varietal solely based on a couple pictures. It's obviously a red grape and the leaf shape points to vinifera in its genes. Some additional information such as where these are being grown and cluster size would help potentially narrow down the 100+ possibilities. You can pay a couple hundred bucks and the good folks at Davis will run some DNA analysis on it.

However, regardless of whether it is Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, Merlot, Nero D'Avola, Gamay, or Temprenillo, you will still make wine the same way with it. I'm sure it will turn out great and taste fantastic.

Okay great, That definitely helps,

Knowing now that there are 100+ possibilities explains why I was having issues on grape indentifying websites :h

They're being grown in Spain,

What is a cluster? 40 - 60 grapes per bunch?

The cluster is just the entire bunch of grapes. Berry size and cluster weight could narrow down the choices but there is a lot of variation year-to-year even for one varietal. Looks like you'll have some nice spanish wine in your future then.

More than the leaf, cluster can give you a clue. I agree withjgmiilr1, just make wine and enjoy. However, USC Davis has good I'd by leaf, pistoles and cluster. Might guide you, but not definitive.

Looks like you'll have some nice spanish wine in your future then.

Maybe. Maybe not. Those may be eating table grapes, not normally intended for wine making. Such as Alfonso lavallee (aka Ribier or Royal).

The best option is to ask a Spanish local. They would know what is commonly grown locally and can best ID the grape.

Latest posts

Back