What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the Cabernet Sauvignon Rose into secondary and now watching the Nats. Tonight, Zac Brown Band w/ the boys (and our wives).

Biked downtown to our Bastille Days festival (a celebration of all things French). After sipping a glass of Beaujolais-Village and listening to some music, I biked over to the lakefront for the Air and Water Show. I enjoyed some acrobatic displays in small prop planes and a Douglas A-4, but the highlight was the Blue Angels. Before the F/A-18s came out, they put the support plane of the Blue Angels, a good ol' Hercules C-130, through its paces. I had seen the Blue Angels before, but had not seen the C-130 display before. I learned this week that the "Fat Albert" C-130 of the Blue Angels team is piloted exclusively by Marines for some reason, and they really pushed the big bird's flight envelope. They scooted around, making banked turns of about 80 degrees, and then flew low over the water to climb at about 70 degrees slope. Very impressive. Then the F/A-18s came out to play, and that is always a sight to see. I could have hit them with a pitching wedge from where I was standing!

On the bike ride home, I had to stop at the biergarten for a porter on the way home! Then, a little barbecue of lamb chops with the neighbors, and they supplied leek/potato soup. Yum!

Did the daunting prep work for bottling a couple batches with old bottles. Set up a 'corkador' for the first time (cork soaking just isn't my thing---not that there's anything wrong with that) and cleaned up 70 used bottles. I've never removed labels from this many bottles in one shot before, and it sure was huge PIA!
This time around I utilized tips ive read on the site. Filled em with hot water and placed them all in the bathtub filled with some oxyclean water. Soaked all afternoon. A few labels floated right off. About 20% came off with little to no residue rather easily. The rest took some work.
I found the best way was to scrape off the paper with a little cheap razor scraper. And then an sos pad to get the glue. The really stubborn labels I rubbed some vegetable oil on the residue and let sit for a few minutes before wiping with the sos pad. Took longer than I wanted -after the tub soak, I scraped and cleaned about 3 hours. Just in time for GOT!

IMG_5880.jpg

IMG_5881.jpg

Brought home my daughter's first car yesterday. Then, spent a couple hours giving it a bath. Seriously, is there a more perfect car for a 16 year old girl?

I am forbidding my 16 yr old daughter from looking at this thread...thanks alot! I'm also sure Maggie is going to be bugging Jenny and Brian for something along those lines (my Niece, Sister and BIL who live about a mile from the car buyer).

Last edited:
I am forbidding my 16 yr old daughter from looking at this thread...thanks alot! I'm also sure Maggie is going to be bugging Jenny and Brian for something along those lines (my Niece, Sister and BIL who live about a mile from the car buyer).

It took weeks to find this one. And the car was 90 miles away. But it all seemed to fall into place. It'll be about 5 months till she gets her drivers license, so between now and then, momma will be driving it.

Temperature and humidity here today are the same, 97. I'm no fool, since its 58F and 70% in the wine room, I took refuge. Racked and sufited all of my "ready to bottle" wines and commenced bottling. The top storage shelf is ready to go. So far, I've done:

Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Amarone, started December 2015
Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Shiraz + once pressed skins, started February 2016
Mosti Mondiale Meglioli OVZ + once pressed skins, started July, 2016
Brehm Las Limones Zinfandel grapes (2014), started April 2016

Next up:

M&M Chilean Cab grapes, started June, 2016

In a few months:

2 carboys of Lanza Koch Cab grapes, started October, 2016

All been through barrels, with added oak stix and cubes as needed. Another year or so and I'll start doing some tasting.

IMG_0891.jpg

I'm up in Anchorage. Just bought a new beer bottle capper. Killing a little time before we go to Benihana for dinner. Today is our 39th anniversary. Then coffee with my niece killing more time waiting for my son and family to fly in at 10pm.
What a gorgeous summer day finally.

Temperature and humidity here today are the same, 97. I'm no fool, since its 58F and 70% in the wine room, I took refuge. Racked and sufited all of my "ready to bottle" wines and commenced bottling. The top storage shelf is ready to go. So far, I've done:

Impressive display John. I have a Mosti Amarone as well but it's only been aging for 4 months. My plans were to bottle at one year. Have you ever made it before and does it really take that long to mature?

Impressive display John. I have a Mosti Amarone as well but it's only been aging for 4 months. My plans were to bottle at one year. Have you ever made it before and does it really take that long to mature?

This is my first Most Meglioli Amarone, so I can't say that I have any specific knowledge about the wine type. Having done other Meglioli's, which are purported to be pure juice, plus skin packs, they take a while to come around, much akin to a big grape wine.

This particular wine, at 19 months, having spent 6 months in a Vadai barrel, still needs aging in my opinion. I'll try a bottle in December when it turns 2 and see how it is, but that's young for an Amarone.......

@mainshipfred: I haven't made one, but have read the Megs take a while to come around and are worth the wait. I have the patience of a gnat though, so I haven't ventured there.

Latest posts

Back