Going to make a fruit bomb!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
After doing a bunch of research and finding a video of a pro mead maker that uses the same basic "recipe" for a berry blend Melomel with the addition of a can of Vinters harvest type fruit wine base to boost the fruit level (and he sells the living hell out of it), I've decided to do something like this:

For 8-9 gallons

6 lbs berry blend - (Strawberry-Blueberry-raspberry-blackberry) But I am considering doubling this amount.
6 lbs Strawberry
6 lbs blueberry (it should add the necessary acid)
96 oz Can of Vinters Harvest Raspberry Fruit base
24 lbs Honey (3 lbs per gallon)

I may use the Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast, this way no back sweetening is needed, it is suppose to ferment down to about 1.010, which is perfect.

I'll probably start this in a few weeks after these three fermenters are empty.

Last edited:
Well with that amount of fruit etc I'd think twice about using that yeast. IMO it's a finicky PITA. Plus it has a tolerance of 11% ABV so you may end up with a very sweet brew given the amount of fermentable sugars you'd have in the batch if made up like that.

S' up to you of course but I hate to see a waste of good ingredients and with all the fruit in primary you'd lose some of the fruit flavour.

I'd suggest using the VH fruit base in primary the the rest in secondary. Oh and if you really want to use a sweet mead yeast use the white labs one and dont waste your money on the wyeast one.

Fruit so dont forget some pectic enzyme too......

You do have the tools to check pH/TA? All of those berries are loaded with acid.
Sounds like a good recipe, I always use my fruit in primary when making melomel and it is loaded with fruit flavor. Guess I will deviate next time and add some to secondary. You could always use that other six# bag that you are thinking of adding in the secondary. I also have concerns about using sweet mead yeast, do you plan on using three vials for your 8-9 gallon batch? You can always pitch a killer yeast if you have a stall. What OG are you aiming for?

Thats only 2.2 lbs of fruit/gal plus a little fruit juice, not what I would call a fruit bomb! Make it into 5 gallons and you are getting closer. It would be best to set the strawberries aside and all the other stuff up front and then when the primary is almost done dump in the strawberries, they have the most delicate flavor and aroma, doing it this way preserves them much better. WVMJ

Fatbloke, thanks for the input\
Saramc, Absolutely, I have more toys...errr....tools than I know what to do with! I use the fruit in my primarty as well, after talking to a pro mead maker, i am confident that his is a good choice, the only difference is that he uses 4 lbs of honey per gallon and uses EC-1118 yeast, as he wants it as cliose to a dry wine for commercial retail sales as possible.
WVMountaineerJack,
Thats only 2.2 lbs of fruit/gal plus a little fruit juice, not what I would call a fruit bomb!
add the Vinters harvest and the fact that I stated
I am considering doubling this amount.
it is a fruit bomb, maybe not to your specifications, but to mine.... it is.

Latest posts

Back