What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My family has abandoned me today. They are at the Army War College for "Heritage Days" ( https://ahec.armywarcollege.edu/armyheritagedays/index.cfm ). Then they will go to my MIL for dinner. Oh darn. I did help a widow church member of ours weed this morning after are men's breakfast group met (my good dead for the month), then headed the the Giant to hunt and gather my meal for tonight. Image of the raw materials, finished images later tonight if I can figure out how to work the camera by then. Also found a "fall of the truck" price on oven stuffer roasters ($0.69/lb), so checked the radar, all clear, fired up the Weber bullet. Will smoke the chicken, then use the leftover hot coals to cook my steak and asparagus. In the meantime I have a new project, catch a ground hog that has taken up residence in the yard. Went to tractor supply and got a cheap trap. Plan to let go somewhere I shouldn't but is convenient if I catch one. Biggest thing is getting it released in a timely manner as they will expire in the trap if left there too long (now that's an idea, but a cruel one). Once the critter(s) is (are) removed, I can plant my tomatoe plants.

Not pictured, said widow gave me 5 lbs of red skinned potatoes, so might do a chunky smashed tater and garlic dish for some starchiness.

5-20-17_dinner-in-the-raw.JPG

5-20-17_traps.JPG

Last edited:
My family has abandoned me today. They are at the Army War College for "Heritage Days" ( https://ahec.armywarcollege.edu/armyheritagedays/index.cfm ). Then they will go to my MIL for dinner. Oh darn. I did help a widow church member of ours weed this morning after are men's breakfast group met (my good dead for the month), then headed the the Giant to hunt and gather my meal for tonight. Image of the raw materials, finished images later tonight if I can figure out how to work the camera by then. Also found a "fall of the truck" price on oven stuffer roasters ($0.69/lb), so checked the radar, all clear, fired up the Weber bullet. Will smoke the chicken, then use the leftover hot coals to cook my steak and asparagus. In the meantime I have a new project, catch a ground hog that has taken up residence in the yard. Went to tractor supply and got a cheap trap. Plan to let go somewhere I shouldn't but is convenient if I catch one. Biggest thing is getting it released in a timely manner as they will expire in the trap if left there too long (now that's an idea, but a cruel one). Once the critter(s) is (are) removed, I can plant my tomatoe plants.

Not pictured, said widow gave me 5 lbs of red skinned potatoes, so might do a chunky smashed tater and garlic dish for some starchiness.

Catch that groundhog early enough, you can get it skinned and into the crockpot in time for Sunday dinner.......

No ground hog yet...

Yard is 75% done, stopped to make my dinner. Had to go get some more charcoal earlier since I knew I'd be close to running out, but the chicken wasn't done and I needed to consume food, so I used it to get the Smokey Joe going for the asparagus and steak. I'm eating the steak, a little late for me, but as tender as (I can't say because I'll get banned), but really tender, take my word for it. Incredible flavor (was a T-bone), but I over did it and it was on the medium side of medium rare. Portobello mushrooms done in european style butter were excellent as always. Saved some for tomorrows' steak dinner (with the wife for our aniversary dinner, since she's never available to go out in the evening to a real restaurant). Asparagus was al-dente, smashed red skinned taters had the perfect amount of garlic (lots) and smoked paprika, swiss chard hit the spot (cooked with red onion, honey, garlic). Hopefully the smoked chicken will get done before I pass out...I really miss my family, as you can tell.

Edit: stories abound about my FIL serving groundhog and calling it pot roast. I'll have to admit they served pot roast once before we got married (her Mom made it) and I kind of pushed it around the plate and ate lot's of veges. I don't know if the story about the groundhog dinner is true, but I wouldn't have put it past him, and didn't have the moxie to ask him point blank whether he did make it or not.

Edit 2: Damn, I'm not used to eating that much food....burp...Gotta ditch this weight loss thing (though I was 213.2 lbs this morning).

5-20-17_dinner-1.JPG

5-20-17_dinner-2.JPG

5-20-17_dinner-3.JPG

Last edited:
You nailed that dinner, Craig. That plate looks great.

BTW: Memorial Day is next weekend and Lowe's and Home Depot typically have twin packs of Kingsford for $9.99. I usually stock up and get 10 or 12 bags. Then another sale comes around 4th of July - I 'top up' then. :D

You nailed that dinner, Craig. That plate looks great.

BTW: Memorial Day is next weekend and Lowe's and Home Depot typically have twin packs of Kingsford for $9.99. I usually stock up and get 10 or 12 bags. Then another sale comes around 4th of July - I 'top up' then. :D

Yea, I had to bite the bullet and pay $13.99 for one bag. Almost made the 65 minute round trip to BJs to get two for $19, but I was lazy.

For some reason I only "nail" dinner when it's for me and not the rest of the family, go figure. :h Maybe there is less pressure to perform.

Looks like you been shopping at JohnT's butcher shop! :)

Looking good!

Some people like "fall of the bone tender"; I like "fall of the back of the truck tender".

It was a joy to actually cook on charcoal for two days in a row. I hate when it rains on weekends (last three of them).

Pairs well with a Merlot

For shame...

Everybody knows it is Possum with merlot, Rabbit/squirrel with Pinot Noir, and Cabernet with groundhog!

images

(continued from my 2017 thread)

.. So not wanting the fun to end, and both my wife and my brother's wife away for the weekend, we decided to head down to my brother's house (after pressing) to cook a nice dinner. On the way out, I grabbed a bottle of Stag's Leap Artemis and a bottle of my 2014 Montepulciano to take with me.

We decided on steak. When word got out, we had a niece and two nephews joining us.

So it was off to Costco and Stop-n-Shop for groceries.

We started with Clams in a white wine/chorizo broth. Nice baguettes to help sop up every delicious drop! YUM.

We grilled two inch thick steaks and served them with baked potatoes, sautéed mushrooms, and lightly sautéed asparagus.

We then finished it all off with a yummy berry cheesecake.

Once dinner was over, with a chilly night upon us, it was time to sit out by my brother's fire pit for a last glass (or four) of wine and to listen to some nice music.

The most perfect end to a most perfect day. It would have been even more perfect if the wives were with us.

I slept the sleep of the sated!

.. This weekend will be continued on the new (2017 gardens) thread.

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG951761.jpg

IMG951759.jpg

IMG950016.jpg

IMG950017.jpg

Back