Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Kit Winemaking > WineXpert Red kit question (Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot or something else?)

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #11
Ajmassa5983

Oct 2016
Liked 580 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
AJ,

Don't wait, LabelPeelers has a great price on the kit!

AJ

Looks like the same price as everyone else at $169.95.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
AJP

Jul 2017
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmassa5983 View Post
Put it in the cart, it was $114.xx (don't pick the one with free shipping, pick from the normal list).

AJ

Old 07-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #13
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 2208 Times on 1224 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmassa5983 View Post
Add it to your cart to see the actuall price!!
IMG_0886.jpg  

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Boatboy24 Likes This 
Old 08-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #14
AJP

Jul 2017
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I need some help from the forum.

I have the Merlot sitting at 2nd fermentation. The SG is .999, this is it's 10th day in 2nd fermentation (I've held it at 71F the entire time).

The next step is stabilizing/clearing, then it says to wait 8 days and rack / clarify.
Then wait 28 days.

All is going well, except in 7 days from now, I've got to leave town for 3 weeks. Nobody will be available to do the next step.

Should I just rack it to a clean carboy before I leave and do the stabilizing/clearing step when I return in a month.

Or, should I do the stabilizing/clearing step and leave it sit that way for the month?

I have some oak spirals in French/Med Toast that i plan to use instead of the oak cubes.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
AJ

Old 08-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #15
Ajmassa5983

Oct 2016
Liked 580 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Those days specified are "ballpark" anyway. If it were mine, id just rack before the trip into a clean carboy and let it ride.
Worry about clearing/degassing/stabilizing later. A lot of people skip clearing agents anyway since time will do that for you.
Normally I'd think to add the k-meta at the racking, but I'd want to try and let that .999 drop a little lower during this time. It's all fair game though. You may get many conflicting responses, And none are "wrong".

People Like This 
Old 08-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #16
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015
Liked 887 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 68

First - 0.999 is pretty sweet. You should consider giving your wine a good stir once every couple days. Wait, till your wine gets down around .0.992-ish. Then rack, dose with kmeta and clarifier (if you want), top it up and put it under an air lock...

A bottle of wine begs to be shared...

AJP Likes This 
Old 08-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #17
AJP

Jul 2017
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks guys.

Yeah, the kit instructions say that when sg<=.998 to stabilize/clear.

So I guess the safe bet is to wait until the end of the week and just rack into a clean carboy.
It should be near dry by then and be safe for a few weeks.

Make sense?

AJ

Old 08-13-2017, 06:38 AM   #18
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 4868 Times on 2881 Posts
Likes Given: 8126

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
Thanks guys.

Yeah, the kit instructions say that when sg<=.998 to stabilize/clear.

So I guess the safe bet is to wait until the end of the week and just rack into a clean carboy.
It should be near dry by then and be safe for a few weeks.

Make sense?

AJ
Agree. Were it my wine; I'd rack in the next few days, top up, and forget about it until I got back.

BROAD RUN CELLARS

AJP Likes This 
Old 08-13-2017, 06:50 AM   #19
AJP

Jul 2017
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatboy24 View Post
Agree. Were it my wine; I'd rack in the next few days, top up, and forget about it until I got back.

Thanks, instead of topping up, I suppose it would be fine to put one of the oak spirals in.

That would let the oak work while I'm away and I wouldn't need to top up with another wine.

??

Thanks,
AJ

Boatboy24 Likes This 
Old 08-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #20
David219

Dec 2010
Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts

Not to muddy the water, but Winexpert kits generally advise NOT to rack at the completion of secondary fermentation. They believe retaining some sediment helps the clarifier do a better job of clearing. Check the instructions, but usually they recommend adding the chemicals, clarifier, and any oak cubes included I the kit while degassing in the same carboy.
I usually skip the sorbate and top up with a similar style wine. Then it's no problem...even good...to give it time while you are away to clear before racking to polish. The kit instructions are letting us know the earliest time the wine can be bottled, not necessarily the best time to bottle. At this point, the wine can sit for an extended period without any ill effects. I usually wait three weeks to rack it off the remaining settled lees left over from secondary fermentation (because I left them intentionally, per the instructions). This would be right about the time you get back.
Now, this topped up, sealed by air lock carboy can can rest a long time before bottling. The chief concern with extended aging in the carboy is maintaining adequate sulfite levels. There are rules of thumb that can be used...like 1/4 tsp KMeta every three months...or you an test for it if you have equipment to do so. Usually the instructions recommend the addition of an additional 1/4 tsp at this finally racking if any bulk aging is being considered.
Ultimately, whether you rack or not is probably of less consequence than assuring fermentation is complete before proceeding to the next step. If the SG has not stabilized...it's still dropping prior to your departure...it might be best to do nothing. Just let it sit and complete fermentation while you are gone. That might be a better option than trying to stabilize and clear a wine that is still fermenting.

AJP Likes This