Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Kit Winemaking > WineXpert Red kit question (Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot or something else?)


Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #11
Ajmassa5983
Member
 
Ajmassa5983's Avatar
 
Oct 2016
Posts: 1,060
Liked 580 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 352


Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
AJ,



Don't wait, LabelPeelers has a great price on the kit!



AJ

Looks like the same price as everyone else at $169.95.
__________________
"Then, buy more carboys, make more wine, overwhelm yourself to the point where your wine ages just because you don't have time to bottle....Procrastinators, this is your hobby....". ----Johnd

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
AJP
Member
 
Jul 2017
Posts: 33
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmassa5983 View Post
Looks like the same price as everyone else at $169.95.
Put it in the cart, it was $114.xx (don't pick the one with free shipping, pick from the normal list).

AJ

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #13
Johnd
Middle Aged Member
 
Johnd's Avatar
 
Jun 2015
Posts: 2,859
Liked 2208 Times on 1224 Posts
Likes Given: 1551


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmassa5983 View Post
Looks like the same price as everyone else at $169.95.
Add it to your cart to see the actuall price!!
IMG_0886.jpg  
__________________
John

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Boatboy24 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #14
AJP
Member
 
Jul 2017
Posts: 33
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22


I need some help from the forum.

I have the Merlot sitting at 2nd fermentation. The SG is .999, this is it's 10th day in 2nd fermentation (I've held it at 71F the entire time).

The next step is stabilizing/clearing, then it says to wait 8 days and rack / clarify.
Then wait 28 days.

All is going well, except in 7 days from now, I've got to leave town for 3 weeks. Nobody will be available to do the next step.

Should I just rack it to a clean carboy before I leave and do the stabilizing/clearing step when I return in a month.

Or, should I do the stabilizing/clearing step and leave it sit that way for the month?

I have some oak spirals in French/Med Toast that i plan to use instead of the oak cubes.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
AJ

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #15
Ajmassa5983
Member
 
Ajmassa5983's Avatar
 
Oct 2016
Posts: 1,060
Liked 580 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 352


Those days specified are "ballpark" anyway. If it were mine, id just rack before the trip into a clean carboy and let it ride.
Worry about clearing/degassing/stabilizing later. A lot of people skip clearing agents anyway since time will do that for you.
Normally I'd think to add the k-meta at the racking, but I'd want to try and let that .999 drop a little lower during this time. It's all fair game though. You may get many conflicting responses, And none are "wrong".
__________________
"Then, buy more carboys, make more wine, overwhelm yourself to the point where your wine ages just because you don't have time to bottle....Procrastinators, this is your hobby....". ----Johnd

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #16
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man
 
jgmann67's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
Posts: 2,267
Liked 887 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 68


First - 0.999 is pretty sweet. You should consider giving your wine a good stir once every couple days. Wait, till your wine gets down around .0.992-ish. Then rack, dose with kmeta and clarifier (if you want), top it up and put it under an air lock...
__________________
Jim, Sole Proprietor - Alanthia Lane Winery

A bottle of wine begs to be shared...

AJP Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #17
AJP
Member
 
Jul 2017
Posts: 33
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22


Thanks guys.

Yeah, the kit instructions say that when sg<=.998 to stabilize/clear.

So I guess the safe bet is to wait until the end of the week and just rack into a clean carboy.
It should be near dry by then and be safe for a few weeks.

Make sense?

AJ

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:38 AM   #18
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
 
Boatboy24's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
Posts: 9,895
Liked 4868 Times on 2881 Posts
Likes Given: 8126


Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
Thanks guys.

Yeah, the kit instructions say that when sg<=.998 to stabilize/clear.

So I guess the safe bet is to wait until the end of the week and just rack into a clean carboy.
It should be near dry by then and be safe for a few weeks.

Make sense?

AJ
Agree. Were it my wine; I'd rack in the next few days, top up, and forget about it until I got back.
__________________
Jim

BROAD RUN CELLARS

AJP Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:50 AM   #19
AJP
Member
 
Jul 2017
Posts: 33
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatboy24 View Post
Agree. Were it my wine; I'd rack in the next few days, top up, and forget about it until I got back.

Thanks, instead of topping up, I suppose it would be fine to put one of the oak spirals in.

That would let the oak work while I'm away and I wouldn't need to top up with another wine.

??

Thanks,
AJ

Boatboy24 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #20
David219
Senior Member
 
David219's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 196
Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts


Not to muddy the water, but Winexpert kits generally advise NOT to rack at the completion of secondary fermentation. They believe retaining some sediment helps the clarifier do a better job of clearing. Check the instructions, but usually they recommend adding the chemicals, clarifier, and any oak cubes included I the kit while degassing in the same carboy.
I usually skip the sorbate and top up with a similar style wine. Then it's no problem...even good...to give it time while you are away to clear before racking to polish. The kit instructions are letting us know the earliest time the wine can be bottled, not necessarily the best time to bottle. At this point, the wine can sit for an extended period without any ill effects. I usually wait three weeks to rack it off the remaining settled lees left over from secondary fermentation (because I left them intentionally, per the instructions). This would be right about the time you get back.
Now, this topped up, sealed by air lock carboy can can rest a long time before bottling. The chief concern with extended aging in the carboy is maintaining adequate sulfite levels. There are rules of thumb that can be used...like 1/4 tsp KMeta every three months...or you an test for it if you have equipment to do so. Usually the instructions recommend the addition of an additional 1/4 tsp at this finally racking if any bulk aging is being considered.
Ultimately, whether you rack or not is probably of less consequence than assuring fermentation is complete before proceeding to the next step. If the SG has not stabilized...it's still dropping prior to your departure...it might be best to do nothing. Just let it sit and complete fermentation while you are gone. That might be a better option than trying to stabilize and clear a wine that is still fermenting.

AJP Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Wine Making Forum Replies Last Post
WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot jgmann67 Kit Winemaking 427 09-27-2017 09:01 AM
WineXpert Stags Leap merlot RCGoodin Kit Winemaking 26 02-25-2016 02:18 PM
WineXpert Stags Leap Merlot - Help Needed PSUnrivaled Kit Winemaking 9 01-06-2016 04:11 PM
WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot - Grape pack berk4422 Kit Winemaking 24 06-28-2015 02:00 PM
WineXpert Eclipse Napa Valley Stags Leap District Merlot w/ Grape Skins Pumpkinman Kit Winemaking 46 03-28-2015 08:36 AM


Forum Jump