Lowering TA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnuscan

Tnuscan=Tennesseean
Reaction score
To lower TA from 9.8 g/L to 8.8 g/L for 6 gallons, will I need to add 15.29grams of K-BiCarb.?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Tnuscan View Post
To lower TA from 9.8 g/L to 8.8 g/L for 6 gallons, will I need to add 15.29grams of K-BiCarb.?

That's the same number I get. Chill proof after addition to get the maximum acid drop.

Last edited:
For K2CO3, 0.62 g/L removes 1 g/L, so I get 14.26. Go slow! Do half to start. If you didn't do MLF yet, and your pH isn't too low to do it, you may get it down that way too.......

Thanks John!!

This has been hard on my pea sized brain.

Do we use a different formula to find the TA of a white wine ?

www.brsquared.org Has two formulas - 0.75 for Reds and - 0.62 (0.65) for Whites. I have never seen this anywhere else.

Under: Articles/Influence of pH/pH and titration

Edit: 0.62 should be 0.65
I would have fixed this but I've lost my power to delete.

Last edited:
Do we use a different formula to find the TA of a white wine ?

www.brsquared.org Has two formulas - 0.75 for Reds and - 0.62 for Whites. I have never seen this anywhere else.

Under: Articles/Influence of pH/pH and titration

I don't do TA that way, so I can't tell you why that is. IIRC,my Vinmetrica titration process doesn't delineate between reds and whites, just titrate to 8.2, see how much solution was used, multiply that by two, and voila!! TA

When in doubt, remember the old acronym (slightly modified) KIST Keep It Simple Tnuscan

I don't do TA that way, so I can't tell you why that is. IIRC,my Vinmetrica titration process doesn't delineate between reds and whites, just titrate to 8.2, see how much solution was used, multiply that by two, and voila!! TA

When in doubt, remember the old acronym (slightly modified) KIST Keep It Simple Tnuscan

Europe uses the 0.65 formula because they express TA as sulfuric.

Latest posts

Back