Does honey draw juices out

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunk

Reaction score
Does honey draw the juices out of fruit like sugar does when applied and let set for a day. I know in medical info it is said raw honey was used on wounds to draw out liquid and heal.

I have no direct experience, but I would assume the answer is "Yes." The osmotic pressure resulting from the difference of sugar dilution inside and outside the fruit would be similar in the two cases (honey and sugar).

I know honey has been used as an aseptic unguent since antiquity, but I wouldn't expect the benefit is because of "drawing out liquid" from a wound. Not even clear why that would be desirable. The reason that honey does not spoil is because the osmotic pressure referred to above kills any microbes by drying them out (i.e., removing their water through their cell walls).

Ok I went a head and used a cup of honey on my frozen blueberries to though for a day it did seem to draw juice like it does when I use sugar. Tomorrow i will put pectic on it.

Latest posts

Back