Bergamont blueberry mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunk

Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe for something like this. I have the plant and berries heard it is wonderful. I can buy local and i will. But... thought i could make it too.

Have not made blueberry, but this is the way I would make it. If berries are really flavorful and ripe 5 lb. per gal. if not so flavorful at least 7 lb. per gal. Freeze the berries, thaw them out, hit them with pectic enzime. Use a large primary. Add enough water to make a gallon for each gallon you want to make. Probably 3/4 of a gal or so for each gallon made. Check the s.g. of the must. Add enough honey to bring it up to 1.090 or so. If blueberries are short on tannin, add some if not do not use. Check and adjust the acid if needed. Pitch the yeast, either sprinkle on top or rehydrate and pitch in. When ferment starts add 1/3 of the nutrient, at 1.060 to 1.070 add another third and at 1.045 to 1.050 and the last third. I usually ferment to 1.000 in the primary then transfer to the secondary. Let it finish out, add k-meta, degass. Before bottling I will usually sweeten depends on how it tastes. Enjoy. Arne.

Blueberry is one of my favorites.

5-6lbs of blueberries, frozen, then thawed and mashed into a pulp will give you about 1/2-gallon of mush. This will still be cold, so you'll want to dissolve the honey into the water first. 1 quart of honey per 1 gallon of finished mead.

I usually use about 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon of water per 5-6lbs of blueberries. This gives me a little leeway for racking losses.

5-6lbs of blueberries + 1/2 to 3/4 gallon water + 1 quart honey = ~1 gallon finished mead

After combining the warm honey-water mixture to the cold mashed blueberries, it wont take too long to reach room temp.

Opti-Red, Booster Rouge, FT Rouge Soft, are all added in my batches of blueberry. Yeast.. I'm still trying to find the best fit for me, personally. I need to make more, lol. Go-Ferm during yeast rehydration & staggering nutrient additions of Fermaid-O or Fermaid-K are preferred.

SG around 1.090-1.095
pH around 3.4

It comes out really lovely, fruity but with depth and character. Lovely aroma, beautiful color. I really enjoy it.

I will be starting next month when my bergamont starts blooming. Wonder if i should ferment with it or add later. Ill have to read up on some flower meads. Also never used any different tannins except grape or tea tannins.ill have to read up on those too.

I started the blueberry bergomot and lemon verbena mead.
3lb 10 oz blueberries thawed 2 days using 1 cup honey and pectic
Honey to sg 1.09
I steeped the herbs in 1 gal water.
8 oz blk tea
Yeast nutrient
Ph 3.38
No acid blend added or grape tannin.
Yeast K1-v1116
Any sugestions how this sound not sure if i should add any acid blend or tannins i like using blk tea.

Back