Intro

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboJ

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I just join the forum. I have made one batch of wine it is a Reisling it turned out ok. But super dry. Is there a way to sweet'n it up a bit?

TurboJ said:
Hi, I just join the forum. I have made one batch of wine it is a Reisling it turned out ok. But super dry. Is there a way to sweet'n it up a bit?

You can back sweeten your wine by adding sugar. I would a do few samples first to see how much sugar you should add to taste.

For future wines you can stop the fermentation prematurely. You'll have to monitor your SG levels regularly and then add potassium sorbate to halt the ferment.

Hi, welcome to winemakingtalk. And for the record I would not suggest stopping a fermentation. You can stabilize your wine and then backsweeten once the wine is done fermenting.

You can back sweeten your wine by adding sugar. I would a do few samples first to see how much sugar you should add to taste.

For future wines you can stop the fermentation prematurely. You'll have to monitor your SG levels regularly and then add potassium sorbate to halt the ferment.
Youn can not stop an active fermentation with Sorbate and K Meta. This is not good info

Fruit for thought

VARIATIONS ON THIS PROCEDURE EXIST,BUT YOU SHOULD BE VERY VERSED IN WINE MAKING TO TRY SOME STEPS,FOR EXAMPLE ADDING A SUBSTANCE TO KILL THE REMAINING YEAST BEFORE FERMENTATION IS COMPLETED:,HIGH PROOF BRANDY IS ADDED WHEN MAKING PORT WINE.IN OTHER CASES THE WINEMAKER MAY CHOOSES TO HOLD BACK SOME OF THE SWEET GRAPE JUICE AND ADD IT TO THE WINE AFTER THE FERMENTATION IS DONE ,A TECHNIQUE KNOWN AS SUSSRESERVE.
IT CAN BE DONE IT TAKES KNOWLEDGE AND CORRECT TIMING TO CONTROL FERMENTATION ,YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO AND WHAT TO USE AND WHEN TO US IT.
BUT IT CAN BE DONE AND IS.:try

Joe's got a good point that it can be done, but fermentation control is problematic for most home winemakers because of the risk of stressing the yeasts instead of stopping them. Then you have a whole host of compounds being given off by the yeast (like SO2) that will ruin the wine. That's why most all home winemakers ferment to dryness and then backsweeten and backflavor. It's easier.

As Joe mentioned, raising the alcohol level kills yeast. So does near-freezing cold, which some use. And chemicals will suppress yeast activity. You have to be really precise when using methods like these, which is where home winemakers can get into trouble.

I always try to save back some juice frozen in plastic jugs. Just fill to near the top, leave the lid loose, let freeze (it will expand some) then tighten the lid. It'll be there for you if you need it at the end. If you dion't, keep it frozen and combine it later in another must.

Thank you very much for the info. I am new and it sounds like back sweeting is the way to go for me right now. Going to try a red wine this weekend. Anyone know about a Malbec or something close recipe they would like to share?

I did a Malbec but I did a juice bucket and I backsweeten it to .998. I just wanted to take the edge off the dryness. Turned out very well, shared it with a handful of members on here and they all liked it very much. Don't know what the ph was (sorry Turock!!! but this was before I started taking ph!) but acid was .63%

This sounds like some I would like to try will you share the recipe with me? I'm new so I may ask a few questions.

ask away! There really is no recipe and this is what I always try to get new winemakers to do. If you are going with a juice bucket, check the sg, acid and ph levels. I doubt very much you will need to adjust them, normally where you buy the juice buckets, they do that for you. If you have a place around you then I would go with a juice bucket. Let it ferment dry, use a brew belt if the area you will be holding the must at is on the cool side

I have started to ferment dry in the primary, when it gets down around 1.010, I snap the lid down and add an airlock. I then check it every couple of days, once dry, I rack and add k-meta, leave it sit for a month, check it and if there is lees sitting on the bottom of the carboy, I'll rack again. I will not let it sit for two months, rack, add k-meta and if pretty clear, add sorbate, and then backsweeten to the level I want. then leave it sit another 3 months and will either rack or bottle at this point, if crystal clear, depends on if I need the carboy or not

The way to go!

Yes very much so but remember ,always check your specific gravity and use the proper chemicals to process your flow, there are tricks out there that the pros use, but that's not the arena room, home winemaking is an art unto itself just like beer winemaking is at home and we do have our limitations ,don't stress out it's a great hobby do and learn and think outside the box. :db

Thank you Julie and Joeswine for the encouragement I'm ready to kick out a new wine....... Ummm I think lol. Ok question define juice bucket plz. And does it have grapes in it?

It is just what it says, juice in a bucket. No grapes. Just pure juice, comes in 6 gallons.

Thank you Julie. I will try to find a place here I'm betting there is not such a place tho. I'm in Tulsa,OK. ????

do you buy your supplies locally? Ask there if they know of anyone who sells juice buckets. Try wineries that also sell wine making supplies or produce distributors.

Latest posts

Back