I'm Waxing!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I finally tried waxing. First I tried a jar in boiling water and failed miserably trying to get it hot enough. Then I bought this little pot at Walmart for four dollars and the hot plate on Amazon for $19.00 and bingo it worked awesome. Oh yeah I bought a set of four spoons at Walmart for 88 cents also.
Below are some pictures with the final project but I don't think it shows up very good. In the pan I have orange wax for my "Orange Mango" that I made from yellow and red wax.

waxing 003.jpg

waxing 002.jpg

waxing 001.jpg

Whew!!!! You had me scared there for a minute. I just didn't think you had enough hair on you to wax!!!!!!!! :)

Glad to hear it was the BOTTLES you were waxing! :db

So do you add the shrink wraps on these as well?

How well does thewax come off when its time to reuse the bottle. I've always wanted to use wax on my lemoncello.

Last edited:
Tonyt...ah could you repeat that again? LOL

I am doing this instead of capsules. It's cheaper, it allows my cork to be seen and I don't have to mess with removing the rest of the capsule when cleaning bottles. I will continue to use both meathods.

I will not be dipping my bottles though. With all the bottles standing upright, I was able to spoon the right amount onto each bottle very quick. The corks were sank below the surface 1/8-1/4". As soon as I hit the wax with the cork screw it pops right out and leaves no residue. I could actually save the little wax buttons and reuse them next time.

Whew!!!! You had me scared there for a minute. I just didn't think you had enough hair on you to wax!!!!!!!! :)

Funny - I thought the same thing at first - I was scared to open the thread :)

I don't even want to know where you put the shrink wraps left over Dan!:a1

I don't even want to know where you put the shrink wraps left over Dan!:a1

Well Rich, I'm gonna put you in the corner with me and Jon cuz Dan told me he was totally embarrassed and I was out of line. So you and Jon are right there with me, :db But I'm having a hard time visualizing Dan being embarrassed! Has anyone seen this?

And Dan I think you owe me more wine, Jeannie and I will be raiding your cellar! :tz

Julie the two of you are welcome anytime in my cellar. I love the time out sessions. Maybe I'll give the two of you lessons on waxing. I know Mike and Rod will be pleased with the new look.

Dan :ft

Seriously, who is gonna teach who on waxing???????????????

Julie the two of you are welcome anytime in my cellar. I love the time out sessions. Maybe I'll give the two of you lessons on waxing. I know Mike and Rod will be pleased with the new look.

dan, she was talking about your wine cellar, not your playroom....roflmao...:)

Back